Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sawman58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Going from 150 amp to 200 amp electrical service?
    Hi out there,

My names Bill and I'd like to know what exactly is involved in changing from a 150 amp
    To a 200 amp electrical service? At the moment I have a 150 amp service and would like to upgrade. Does the meter socket box and feed wiring have to be changed?

Thanks, Bill
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Yes, the entire service entrance must be rated at least 200 amps. This may include the meter and feeder cable.

However, with the existing service being rated 150 amps, the meter is probably already a 200 amp unit, the feeder cable maybe rated 150 or 200, so it is worth checking the size of the feeder cable.

A residential 200 amp feeder must be a minimum of #2/0 copper or #4/0 aluminum wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate electrical service needs [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I frequently do art shows. The only electricity we need is to power six clamp-on lights, each using a 65 watt bulb. For the first time ever, we are being asked to request the type of service we need, i.e. up to 600 watts or 5 amps, up to 1000 watts or 8.3 amps, etc. I hate to be...

Electrical service calculation [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen that some of the helpful moderators and members can run calculations to determine what size (how many amps) electrical service is called for. I am changing the service on my home and need to decide whether I go with 100amp, 125amp, 150amp, or 200amp service (I think that is how the...

Electrical service size [ 3 Answers ]

I'm ready to install electric boilers in my shop that has not been wired yet. The boilers require 80/80 and 60/30 amps according to manufacturer literature. Does this mean that I need 250 amps plus normal lights/welder/compressor draws? Like 350amp service? Does the service have to be able to...

Electrical Service Sizing [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 electrical subpanels to install off my home's service. My home service is 800 Amps. These will be taken as 2 separate runs off my main service box. The first is for a barn which is 250 feet away and I want to put in a 100 Amp panel. The second will run to a well house which is 300...

What type of electrical service do I need? [ 13 Answers ]

My name is JC and I was wondering what type of electrical service I need. My circuit breaker panel only has 26 breakers in it and it is 100 AMPS. The electrician says I will need increase my service to 200 AMPS. This will give me room for 40 Breakers. I am rewiring the house and I do not have...

View more questions Search