Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 28, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Cooking for one?
    Just a quick question:
    My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is just me home I can't find the modivation to cook big meals. And, it makes just too much left overs with just me home. Does anyone have any good, quick reciepes for one?
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Nov 28, 2007, 05:21 PM
    This place has some good ones...

Single Selections
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    Just a quick question:
    My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is just me home I can't find the modivation to cook big meals. And, it makes just too much left overs with just me home. Does anyone have any good, quick reciepes for one?
    It's different for everyone. You may need to justify a vacuum food saver system. I did.
    Simply reduce the portion size until you find out what your preferred single-portion size is. Then it clicks!
    wandererrob Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    Just a quick question:
    For myself when I was living alone, I found what worked best was to cook enough for 2-3 meals. I'd then have my dinner then pack up the rest and have a couple of lunches for work. Or even have one for dinner a few nights later if you're not feeling like cooking.

Things that you know will reheat well are a good bet. For example, I wouldn't do this with steak as nuked steak is never good. But chicken and pork worked out fairly well.

And having a nice hot meal at work is very nice. It beats having a sandwich every day. It sounds like you enjoy cooking, and I found this gave me the flexibility to have fun cooking without worrying so much about doing it all for one meal.

Also as CaptainRich suggested above, find the portions that work for you. In addition to the above stuff, I'd also keep a stock of small pieces of meat in the freezer. When I wanted something relatively quick, just thaw something out, maybe make a side dish, throw a salad together or heat up some corn. I found that keeoing a thing of stuffing mix on hand and some potatoes made for quick easy sides.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 10:54 PM
    There is also a choice of freezing left over food. Make big meals and freeze the left overs. There are many ideas, and you had great posts above. Think lots of salads and fruits and veggies.
    ConfusedinSC Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Definitely the vacuum food sealer. Cook big when he is home and freeze portion sized leftovers, label and store. You will have your own line of lean "home made" cuisine in your freezer when he leaves. Buy a lot when meat is on sale and vacuum seal in for two and for one portions. Use it to reseal premade salad mix(that stuff goes bad over night) Eventually it pays for itself well justifying the cost. Heck, I use mine to vacuum seal dry clothes when I go kayaking and camping. I've been cooking for one for 17 years and I've had mine for 10... still working strong. Foodsaver II
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 18, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Why go through all that change? Come cook for me for a month.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Feb 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Lol!
    wnk_1001 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Mar 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Lol!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking without an oven [ 13 Answers ]

Your oven has died, but you have four burners on the stovetop and a microwave oven. What meat dish would you cook and how?

Diabetic cooking [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and am trying to cook healthy meals. Does anyone have any recipies for good vegetable dishes. I am trying not to use starchy vegetables. My Doctor said vegetables were free for me to eat so I can have more of them if they are not the starchy kind! Yumm...

Help withamerican cooking [ 7 Answers ]

I am a desperate ex pat.. now living in Florida and I have always used my british bero recipe book in England and always had great results. Now after living in the states for a year and a half , NONE of my cakes rise and my yorkshire puddings are a disaster. Is the flour different here... is the...

Cooking a turkey [ 2 Answers ]

How long do you cook a turkey? So many minutes per pound??

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search