Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LongingForSilence Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
    I have tinnitus and distorted hearing as well due to excessive ear syringing, but no doctors will admit that it is due to that and ENT's are not able to find the cause. Music sounds distorted and speech as well. I cannot effectively mask my tinnitus due to the sound distortion. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what do you do to cope with both tinnitus and distortion?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Tinnitus is often due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Some medicines can be a problem with ringing ears too. Try taking zinc and vitamin B complex for a month

Tinnitus: Alternative Treatments

Zinc Reduces Tinnitus | Ears | Bastyr Center for Natural Health
    justme5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LongingForSilence
    I have tinnitus and distorted hearing as well due to excessive ear syringing, but no doctors will admit that it is due to that and ENT's are not able to find the cause. Music sounds distorted and speech as well. I cannot effectively mask my tinnitus due to the sound distortion. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what do you do to cope with both tinnitus and distortion?
    Hi... I don't have tinnitus but I do have the distorted hearing.. speech and music sounds tinny like.. like its coming from a busted speaker.. mine was caused by trauma from a gunshot blast where I was standing to close.. anyway my ent said that it may clear up but it could take 6 to 8 months to do so.its been a little over a month now and it has cleared up some.. it is driving me batty.. guess I just wanted to see if you found out any way to get rid of the distortion...
    LongingForSilence Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme5
    hi...i don't have tinnitus but i do have the distorted hearing..speech and music sounds tinny like..like its coming from a busted speaker..mine was caused by trauma from a gunshot blast where i was standing to close ..anyway my ent said that it may clear up but it could take 6 to 8 months to do so.its been a little over a month now and it has cleared up some..it is driving me batty..guess i just wanted to see if you found out any way to get rid of the distortion...
    My distortion was progressive. Now its up to the point where music has static sounds like its from an out of tune radio station. I've been to two ENT's who told me to go home since I passed the hearing test. I have no problem hearing, its just distorted. I'm meeting a third ENT next month.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LongingForSilence
    My distortion was progressive. Now its up to the point where music has static sounds like its from an out of tune radio station. I've been to two ENT's who told me to go home since I passed the hearing test. I have no problem hearing, its just distorted. I'm meeting a third ENT next month.
    Have you had an MRI? Perhaps w/ contrast?
    Even that may show things are really quite normal.
    I have tinnitus, too. It sucks. But, as the body grows older, so does our tissue.
    Not everything is treatable, with shots or pills.
    We get creaky and want to stay loose and functional. That just isn't always going to happen.
    Frankly, if I ask the Dr's and they say, "You're normal." I figure, I am.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:39 PM
    My mother had tinnitus for many years from a TMJ facial accident. I have had tinnitus for years as well from a TMJ injury. Mine gets worse when I take aspirin. I know I've taken too much when my ears really ring.

I also have hyperacusus. This means that essentially the "volume" control on my hearing has been cranked up and the slightest noise can drive me up a wall. Most music other than soothing classical sounds like pure tortourous noise to me. This was the result of trauma to me from an accident where I had TMJ as a result.

I have had this condition for 35+ years now. I have tried everything under the sun (and so did my mother) with nothing working for us. The vitamins and minerals did nothing for either of us.

It's just something I have learned to live with. The static radio station noise has never abated for me.

I'm sorry to say but you just might be stuck like I am with this annoyance forever.
    1234AAA Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Have you ever tried food allergy testing?

A couple of years ago one of my docs suggested a food allergy test. She thought some of my medical conditions, including tinnitus, were being caused by food allergies... I thought she was off her rocker. I had been dealing with these conditions for over 35 years and thought if I had food allergies one of my other docs would have surely discovered it before then. However, fortunately for me, it turns out this doc was right. I was allergic to 10 foods, most of them my absolute favorites. The allergies were: milk, baker's yeast, brewer's yeast, lobster, crab, shrimp, green pepper, cranberries, oats, and last but not least, avocado's. I had tinnitus my whole life, sometimes so severe as to cause distortion. My allergies to baker's yeast, brewer's yeast and cow's milk are the #1 triggers for my tinnitus. After eliminating yeast and milk, (to the best of my ability), from my diet, the ringing in my ears simply turned off like a light switch. Who would have thought?? Most of my allergies measured +1 on the chart, but the milk and yeast allergies were off the charts. The less I eat the less I suffer. The test is done via blood draw and cost over $900, which was covered by my insurance. If you are not able to get the test, for whatever reason, it wouldn't hurt to see if milk and yeast go hand in hand with your tinnitus. Yeast is especially important, as it lurks in just about everything, i.e. ketchup, mustard, pickles, mayonnaise, and the list goes on. Just a thought.

Good luck!!
    TomorrowsDawn Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilredsumpin
    I also just started to hear humming oise in my house any body find out what it is?
    Is it a humming sound or a high pitch ringing?
    There is a difference.
    The high pitch ringing is what some call Tinnitis.

I've had it all my life and even my father at the ripe age of 76 has had it since he's been a child and even had a few doctors say it's a sign of going deaf.
    What do they know.. he's 76 and can still hear.

Some have called it "The Swan's song" and when it stops, your hearing will as well.
    So many feel it's a welcomed sound.

Some claim from my Grandmothers day... she use to say someone was talking about you, As a child thinking for the life of me, why on earth is everyone talking about me so much? You would think they would have other things better to do!

Then others believe that some... some have the ability to pick up high frequency sounds and this is what your hearing.
    It's like the same wave of electricity what they call "Vampire/phantom surging" which means that even though you have your appliances off, electricity is still being pumped through and being used.
    Some have the ability to hear these high frequency sounds.

Then there are some who feel that if the noise that you hear is like a radio or music.
    That your actually hearing the cross overs of the worlds and can hear the sounds.
    Kind of like a porpoise that can hear the higher frequency sounds more then other animals can.

Just make sure that you have your hearing checked by a doctor, make sure there's no wax build up which will cause pressure on the ear drum which can cause this as well.

Take it for what you feel its worth and don't worry yourself so much about it.

Look at it this way.
    At least you don't see "DEAD PEOPLE".
    Sorry for the sick joke...

Just have it checked out by a doctor and it will be OK.

Promise.
    smcginty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Comment on 1234AAA's post
    Same case for me. I also am allergic to dairy and yeast. My experience is very similar in that I had all the typical tests: MRIs, hormone levels, endoscopies, etc. Finally I did the blood allergy testing and I am amazed at the difference it mak
    serass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 07:15 AM
    Was tinnitus your only symptom? How did it sound like and what were the sound distortions exactly?
    serass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 07:16 AM
    I also forgot to ask, when you stopped consuming yeast and milk, how long did it take for you to notice a difference as well as total tinnitus remission?
    nanprays Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Yes, my tinnitus definitely flares depending on what I eat, it is crazy how it goes from one extreme to the other, in fact I just had some ketchup with my hamburger and now my tinnitus is as high pitched and loud as ever. I need to just stop eating althogether!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search