Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Collene Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Finding someone
    Hi! Does anyone know how I would go about finding someone's current place of employment without having to "pay" for it? Thank you!
    cupcakes1005 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 03:15 PM

Why do you need to find someone's current place of employment is the question?

Jul 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
    This person owes me some money.:(
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 10, 2009, 10:28 PM

Do you live near them? Do you know their habits/hangouts? Do you have mutual friends? If he perhaps hangs out at a bar, you could go in as a patron and ask around... say something like, "Do you know "Jimmy"? I used to work with him till he quit, do you know where he's working now?" or "What's Jimmy been up to lately? Did he ever find a job?" Call his parents house and say "I need to talk to Jimmy, do you have his work number, it's an emergency"

You'll have to sue him in order to garnish his wages though.

Of course, if you sue him and win, the court can force him to provide information on where he works, lives, his assets, etc..

What size of a town do you live in? Is it possible to find him by looking around places where he might be employed due to a specific skill he has, like plumbing, welding, that sort of thing? Just call up the likely companies and ask if "Jimmy" works there.

Jul 11, 2009, 06:29 AM
    I do live in the same town as he does. I know where he lives.(he lives alone).. but I have no clue where he hangs out or who any of his friends are. We live in a town of about 100,000 people... so not overly large.. but big enough to make finding out about someone hard. Thanks so much for the suggestions... I appreciate it!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 08:07 AM

Someone follows him to work - it's as simple as that.

Or, depending on your State, get a Judgment against him and have him fill out a financial info sheet. Employment info is required on that "questionnaire."

Jul 12, 2009, 09:59 AM

You'll have to sue him in order to garnish his wages though.

Of course, if you sue him and win, the court can force him to provide information on where he works, lives, his assets, etc..
    I said that in post #4.

And thanks for the reddie, that was not warranted. Those ideas are perfectly fine, PI's use them generally as a first resort.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    I said that in post #4.

And thanks for the reddie, that was not warranted. Those ideas are perfectly fine, PI's use them generaly as a first resort.

You are welcome for the reddie. Again, please stop attempting to moderate the board, deciding what is appropriate or warranted and what is not.

YOU are telling ME how PI's work, what they use as sources? PI's go to bars people frequent and ask questions? Only on TV. Please post YOUR experience in the PI field, including your licenses and continuing education.

I specifically would like to know which PI's are using this approach - PI's you know personally, I presume?

The dollars and cents of this suggestion (should anyone decide it's a good idea) are: Setting up file, between $50 and $100; conference/conversation with client - $75.00/hour; field work - $75.00 to $125.00/hour. You can't just walk into a bar and ask questions so figure 1/2 hour there, 1/2 hour back, 2 hours in the bar. 3 hours at $100 (conservatively), $300. Plus the $75 conference and $60 set up fee. Report - 1 hour at $75.

Total - $510. Maybe successful, maybe not.

Court-ordered info subpoena - free.

The experience - priceless!

Is that how it works in your area?

Jul 15, 2009, 01:12 AM

My answer was common sense. How else would you do it? ASK AROUND! Call 411, look in the phone book, have someone call his mother/father/brother/friend and either ask them where he is or tell him that he has that $100 that he owes him, meet him at the McDonalds (or wherever) in 20 minues... works (almost) every time. If not, try looking through public records such as judgements against him. What sort of work does he do? If he has a unique job, he ould be easy to find. You could just call around anyplace you think he may work and ask if he;s there. Or if You do have time, you could always follow him to work like Judy said.

I guess I assumed from the OP that she knew the person one way or another, so it would make sense that she may know some of his friends and at least know his name, so my suggestions are a good place to start. Why would she wan to know where he works if she didn't know his name or anything about him? Otherwise this would be a case of stalking, and even then, she'd know his name most likely.

The OP liked my ideas, they're perfectly good ideas that don't cost a thing really. So that is all that really matters, that the OP is happy with my post.

I'm not positive what your post meant... did you mean I suggested her to HIRE a PI ? No, no... I meant to do this on her own or with friends.. I never said anything of the sort implying hiring a PI, as in the OP she asked how to find out "FOR FREE", which says to me she doesn't have the money to pay someone to do it for her.

No, I'm not a PI but I am good at finding people.

I was wondering why the OP wanted to find this person anyway? If she knows where he lives, then she can sue no problem... kinda made me wonder.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    My answer was common sense. How else would you do it? ASK AROUND!! Call 411, look in the phone book, have someone call his mother/father/brother/friend and either ask them where he is or tell him that he has that $100 that he owes him, meet him at the McDonalds (or wherever) in 20 minues......works (almost) every time. If not, try looking through public records such as judgements against him. What sort of work does he do? If he has a unique job, he ould be easy to find. You could just call around anyplace you think he may work and ask if he;s there. Or if You do have time, you could always follow him to work like Judy said.

I guess I assumed from the OP that she knew the person one way or another, so it would make sense that she may know some of his friends and at least know his name, so my suggestions are a good place to start. Why would she wan to know where he works if she didn't know his name or anything about him? Otherwise this would be a case of stalking, and even then, she'd know his name most likely.

The OP liked my ideas, they're perfectly good ideas that don't cost a thing really. so that is all that really matters, that the OP is happy with my post.

I'm not positive what your post meant.....did you mean I suggested her to HIRE a PI ? No, no.....I meant to do this on her own or with friends.. I never said anything of the sort implying hiring a PI, as in the OP she asked how to find out "FOR FREE", which says to me she doesn't have the money to pay someone to do it for her.

No, I'm not a PI but I am good at finding people.

I was wondering why the OP wanted to find this person anyway? If she knows where he lives, then she can sue no problem.......kinda made me wonder.

So you actually believe that if the debtor receives a phone call from a stranger saying he has $100 for him the debtor is going to meet the stranger at McDonald's. Assuming the debtor falls for this - which I highly doubt - how is that going to let the stranger know where the debtor lives/works? I'd like the statistics on how this works "almost" every time.

Again - the stuff you post looks good on TV, not so good in real life.

And, yes, I agree - you most definitely are not a PI.

This is why I don't post on the bartender threads - because I'm not a bartender and my advice would sound stupid to bartending professionals. Same with PI info.

Of course the OP liked your original answer - if the OP knew how to find the person he/she wouldn't be posting here.

Jul 15, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Wow... I wish you all wouldn't argue here. I just wanted a few suggestion on how to find someone's place of employment. I didn't know if there was someplace online.. or courthouse records of some sort... or SOMEWHERE... that I could look to find out that info. I appreciate all of your suggestions. Now stop bickering! :rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 05:13 PM

Please don't attempt to direct how your questions are answered. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...cy-372284.html

No, there is no Courthouse that keeps track of people's employment. Likewise, there is no online employment site.

You CAN - if you have a Judgment - require that the person fill out a financial affidavit listing, among other things, his/her employment.

Is a Judgment the reason you are looking for someone's employment? Or are you attempting to serve this person? You said you have his home address so even if you are attempting to serve him I don't know why you need his employer.

You did say the person owes you money - if there is no Judgment and you contact that person at work you could be charged with harassment.

This is the same info I posted in #6, above. When you come to this site, you have to read the past posts and sort out the experienced from the inexperienced, the guessing from the correct answers. Then you pick the answer you like the best and follow the suggestions.

Jul 16, 2009, 05:38 AM
    Oh MY! Judy... LOL! I think you need a life dear! You are spending WAY too much time online! I don't believe that anyone is trying to "direct" anyone else here. Just helping each other out. RELAX... that is my "direction" for YOU!

Thanks again for your help and have a great day!
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Collene View Post
    Oh MY!! Judy...LOL! I think you need a life dear! You are spending WAY to much time online!! I don't believe that anyone is trying to "direct" anyone else here. Just helping each other out. RELAX....that is my "direction" for YOU!!

Thanks again for your help and have a great day!

So are you going to furnish the additional information which is necessary to answer your question or just resort to personal insults and guess how to proceed?

Do you post in more than one name?

Jul 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    So are you going to furnish the additional information which is necessary to answer your question or just resort to personal insults and guess how to proceed?

Do you post in more than one name?
    I;m sorry. You just seem a little tense to me... and overbearing. I have given all of the info that I'm going to give... and I loved the advice about just following him to work. That's what is in progress right now. Thanks to whomever gave it to me... simple.. perfect!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the right doctor [ 4 Answers ]

j9 and others, I was wondreing if any of you have any ideas about finding a doctor that treats chronic pain. Does anyone have any advice for me on what I should be looking for? j9 the only hemotoligist here treat cancer patients, and I would need a refferal to see them. So I'm writing this to get...

Need help finding someone [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my name is James Pawlik and I have been looking for an old friend I was in the Navy with I don't remember her ship because we only knew each other in (A) School and after graduation I never saw her again. I was just trying to see how she is and let her know how I am but I can't seem to find a...

Finding my brother [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for my brother How do I find him.

View more questions Search