Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Passed out, threw up and pooped all at the same time.
    Okay so my sister calls me and says that she was sitting in class and she felt like she was going to pass out( she has a history of fainting) so she puts her head down. Some time later she wakes up and there are paramedics there. She then realizes that not only has she passed out but she threw up and pooped. Why would this all happen at once?

She does not have insurance and will not until January so she couldn't go with the paramedics. She faints easily and has for most of her life. She has a fear of needles so it is close to impossible to get her to have her blood taken to have some blood work done.

What would cause her to lose control of her bowel movements and throw up while fainting?

*things to consider...

-she is only 23
    -she had a slight cold that day
    -she has lived in a warm climate only within the last year
    -she has passed out twice within the last few months
    The room she passed out in the last time was air conditioned the time before that was outside in the heat.

Any information would help. She is seeing a doctor about her bloodwork in January.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
    The brain will do anything to keep blood to the head. That means it will shut down anything else to keep the brain functioning.

So let's SUPPOSE she had a severe drop in blood pressure. This will cause the fainting. If it lasted long enough the brain would divert all blood to the head and it wouldn't care about any other muscle, so their goes the sphincter muscle and poop. Not sure about throwing up, though.

In the short run, you probably can spare some change and get a blood pressure meter just in case I'm right.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Sounds like she was out for a long time. Fainting with incontinence suggests a seizure. A seizure is a sign of something, but what? She needs to be seen by a doctor, sooner than in January. Hope others more knowledgeable can speak to this.
    Asking
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    The brain will do anything to keep blood to the head. That means it will shut down anything else to keep the brain functioning.
    This is somewhat correct, however the brain ain't going to function if the heart ain't pumpin'.

Now, the body will shut down or repress all organs that are not vital to maintain life under certain conditions.

I do have to agree with Asking about the seizures. When a person has a seizure it does not always mean that they are going to have a tonic clonic seizure that we all think of when we think "seizure." Some seizures can be very mild with little to no visible symptoms.

Some time later she wakes up
    That particular portion of the sentence is what gave me the clue that it may have been a seizure. You see, when a seizure occurs there is usually a period of disorientation wherein the patient actually "thinks" they are out, but are awake, but not alert or oriented.

It is imperative that she get medical attention OR she should not drive until she gets this checked out. If she is driving she may very well have this happen again while behind the wheel.

Nov 28, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Thank you for yours answers. I called her and told her what you all said. She had also looked it up online and she received the same information. She is away at college and does not have a need for a car because she lives on campus so she will not be driving anywhere. Thank you again.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Here in Cincinnati ,Ohio We had a local college girl that went sleep walking off her campus a few weeks ago, passersby reported a man raping a girl on the side on the road, in a grassy area. A homeless manhiv positive raped this girl while she was sleep walking. She also had epilespy, pease tell your sister that crazy things can happen and to be careful not to be alone until this is resolved.

Nov 28, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Thank you I will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When has enough time passed? [ 22 Answers ]

Just wondering what is a long enough amount of time passed before it's appropriate to contact an Ex again, after No Contact? I know the obvious answers are "when you're strong enough" and/or "never", but if this person helped you get through a lot in life and you sincerely care for them and fully...

Mommy passed away 3/4/06 [ 3 Answers ]

Well I found out that my mother was sick with breast cancer right after thanksgiving in 2005 and she wouldn't tell me over the phone, cause I'm the baby and mommas little baby, so some of her family was in from out of town visiting one of my aunts who never calls me unless my moms at my house, but...

My ex passed away [ 6 Answers ]

Okay.. I recently lost an Ex boyfriend], because the night before he passed away we argued about him and I getting back together and I was with another guy] at the time. Mitch wanted me back and I had wanted him back just as much. Well, he asked me how I was going to end it with Eric, who I was...

Just passed out [ 1 Answers ]

I'm pretty sick and I just passed out it scard me so much I need help please and I have the chills and a horrible head acke please help me:(

Enough time passed? [ 1 Answers ]

It's been 4 months since I had color correction on my hair and it was damaged. We have been depositing a med golden brown color only... no highlights. I have been using deep conditioning treatments. My hair is very grey at the top and the roots are very bad within 2-3 weeks. I want to know if...

View more questions Search