Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Print Share Problems
    I cannot figure this out. Printer on Windows 2000 through USB. Shared. File + print sharing enabled, firewall disabled.

Over wireless network on an XP home laptop I can add the printer and it work normally. However after relogin/restart it does not work. Message appears:

1) Access Denied
    2) Print spooler not working

However security has been enabled for everyone

Print spooler is on on both computer and laptop and working correctly

Previously an old printer was shared and worked fine however I cannot figure this out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Jiser,

How are things in Jolly ole UK?

I need some of you network topology from you. When you said you are using a Wireless home network does that mean that all of the devices you are using are tied to the network via a wireless connection?

Just a couple of quick things I would look at first. Is the printer shared properly? Is the printer defined properly within your named household network? Is the printer connected to your laptop via USB or LPT1 or serially? Have you checked the printers manufacturer's website to make sure this is not a known failure and that you are using the most current network driver? Is your printer operating at the correct network speed?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Is the machine where the printer is shared getting a different IP address on reboot?

Can I assume that the laptop is getting it's IP address from DHCP?
    If it is bump up the DHCP lease time to a year or so.
    You should probably add the printer as a TCP/IP printer as well.
    It can take up to 45 minutes for Windows to do it's majic and discover the name of your computer/printer with other methods that depend on NetBIOS.

Printers need a fixed IP address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Print problems in outlook [ 1 Answers ]

I got a script error in printing in outlook in line 1335 Invalid argument Res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg I used the metod to run the above statement in the box. It answerd by o.k. but it didn't help

Basic earnings per share and diluted earnings per share [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: what is the different between Basic earnings per share and Diluted earnings per share :confused:

View more questions Search