Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dveenhuis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Outlet boxes and wiring installed on basement wall
    What is the proper method of wiring outlets on the basement wall. The wall has 2x3 firring strips 16" OC. Does the wire have to be in conduit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Typically, with 2" x 3" studs, I assumed laid flat, 4 inch square boxes 1-1/2" deep with side brackets are mouthed to the side of the stud, and raised mud rings that match the depth of the drywall, are used. Being a basement, we would normally run up the stud to the ceiling to run the cable horizontally to drop down to the next box, and so on.

If you drill through the studs, each stud the cable crosses will need a protective steel plate covering the path of the cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall outlet orientation [ 17 Answers ]

Just out of curiosity I was wondering about the orientation of three prong 120v outlets. Most times I see outlets they are oriented with the ground prong down though sometimes I have seen them with the ground prong at the top. I had asked about it once at a company I worked for previously and was...

Wall outlet orientation [ 7 Answers ]

What is the proper wall outlet orientation and is there a industry standard?

Old house, new ceiling fan wiring to wall outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new ceiling fan that comes with a wall dimmer and fan speed /on and off... My house wiring is old and has only one black and one white wire,. will this switch work... I have an electrician coming to install. Paid plenty for the fan and I want to make sure...

Can fans with pull swithches be installed on a wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought 3 of your fans and they have pull switches and would like to know how to intall them to a wall switch.

View more questions Search