Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nowatch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Strong mildew smell in shower drain
    I have a strong mildew smell coming from the shower drain. This is a 2yr old Florida home built on a slab. I have used draino, bleach, and boiling hot water. The weather is great now so I am able to leave the windows and door open in the bathroom, even with this you can still smell mildew in the drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 28, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the shower drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? Hope this helps . Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I think Tom nailed this one. Tom's bleach works well but I have a fun one to try if you are game. Mix 1/2 cup of table salt with 1/2 cup of baking soda and dump into the drain, then add a cup of vinegar and watch the volcano. Flush tomorrow with the bucket of very hot water. Both procedures should help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur smell from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I have gone through a long and painful process redoing a downstairs bathroom. We are quite close to being completed... However, now we seem to have a fairly strong smell of sulfur in the bathroom - appearing to be coming up from the shower drain. This particular bathroom has not...

Smell from shower drain [ 4 Answers ]

How can I eliminate an odor from the shower drain?

Foul smell from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stand up shower, no septic tank, city sewer system, first floor in a private home. This is the guest bathroom and has never had this smell before. The bathroom has really never been used very often either. Just recently, someone has been using the shower on a regular basis, and now the...

Smell from Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a shower on the 2nd floor of my 30 year old house and I notice a sewage smell coming from the drain. :confused: The shower has not been used in over 4 years because it has a crack in the liner (it is a fiberglass shower unit). I notice the smell when the washing machine which...

Horrible smell from Shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into this house 5 weeks ago and have tried everything to combat this problem. Our upstairs bathroom shower stinks from high heaven after we've had a shower ie:after its had hot water running down the drain. The sink and bath drains in the same bathroom don't stink and neither does the...

View more questions Search