Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2005, 08:36 AM
    Gas furnace runs two cycles
    My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2005, 10:21 AM
    Can you tell if the gas is coming on in the short cycle? It shouldn't come on unless signaled by the thermostat. The blower has a limit switch and a relay that could be doing something funny. At least on an older furnace, the relay and limit switch are easier to trouble shoot. If it is just the blower, cleaning the limit switch might help.

If the gas is coming on, the problem is likely with the thermostat. Can't think of a good reason for to to go off and come back on again either. How consistent is this? A loose wire could cause it, but would be variable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a replacement furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a cape cod style home. I currently have a lennox gas furnace Which is 18 years old and the electronic ignition is going bad. I have been looking at the following: Lennox (80 percent) Carrier, and Goodman. I only plan to stay in the home for 3 to 5 yrs. More. The house is 52 yrs. Old....

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Furnace blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a older home with a older furnace. I started it up this fall and the blower continues to run after the house has warmed and the themostat has turned off. The blower runs and runs, blowing cool air. To stop it I have to turn off the main switch to the furnace. What do you think the...

Air/Furnance Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Our air conditioning was working fine until last week. Now after it is on several hours the blower quits running. The air conditioner is still running. I shut the whole system off for an hour or so and the blower on the furnace comes back on. We had the relay switch replaced last winter when...

Furnace coil blocked? [ 2 Answers ]

Our furnace heater coil is only 5 yrs old. We have little hot water pressure throughout the house. We have been told the coil element in our tankless system is blocked and we need a replacement coil. It is going to cost at least $650. An option is buying a separate water heater for $1600. We are...

View more questions Search