Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 03:51 AM
    My post was closed.
    Because I asked a question... part of pertaining to something that I DIDN'T KNOW was illegal. That's fine if you don't want to help me figure out that part. But is Trillian illegal? I need help knowing why programs that I am downloading are not working...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Did you bother to read my response?
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 03:54 AM
    Yes I did... And I did not understand it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2007, 03:58 AM
    You freely admit to acquiring this program via a P2P application.
    This is breach of copyright.

Now as I said AMHD will NOT advise in anyway if P2P is involved.

If you like a program, rather than STEALING it, go and pay for it, like the rest of us.

FYI Limewire is so full of viruses, trojans and other malware as to be completely unusable.
    It is also closly monitored by various Government agencies.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Trillian has a free component. Here is their tech support area: Cerulean Studios -> Trillian Help & Support Center
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    You freely admit to acquiring this program via a P2P application.
    This is breach of copyright.

Now as I said AMHD will NOT advise in anyway if P2P is involved.

If you like a program, rather than STEALING it, go and pay for it, like the rest of us.

FYI Limewire is so full of viruses, trojans and other malware as to be completely unusable.
    It is also closly monitored by various Government agencies.

With all due respect, I read over all the messages on both threads and I cannot find anything which suggested that she illegally downloaded a program. There is also a great deal of software available both as Freeware and as Shareware which does not require payment (in some cases there are restrictions, in other cases not).

I think that the warnings against use of P2P programs are well placed, and I also understand why AMHD would not support the use of P2P type software.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    With all due respect, I read over all the messages on both threads and I cannot find anything which suggested that she illegally downloaded a program. There is also a great deal of software available both as Freeware and as Shareware which does not require payment (in some cases there are restrictions, in other cases not).
    She asked about getting Limewire to work on her PC, that is not something we are prepare to help with due to its overwhelming use for pirating.

The is indeed a plethora of open source/freeware available out there and I'm a big fan of such software - those programs are available from the developers' website.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    She asked about getting Limewire to work on her PC, that is not something we are prepare to help with due to its overwhelming use for pirating.
    I have no issue with that. I was just reacting to the comment that suggested that she was stealing software. I did not see any justification for that comment.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I guess Ben was generalizing. If it's not the case then the OP can perhaps let us know for what purpose she intended to use Limewire.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2007, 01:45 PM
    You did mention downloading two programs and not being able to get them to install. One was Limewire which we do not support, the other was Trillian. We should help with that, so I suggest you start a new thread for Trillian install help
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Limewire is offered for free via Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

I was under the impression that only file sharing was illegal. I don't do that, I download a song, burn it, and delete it.

I'm not trying to rude here, I am trying to get correct information and possibly some help..

I don't want to start a new thread, perhaps in here I can get assistance as to how to make trillian work for me.
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Nov 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Hi you how did you know that it was closed I think one of my posts was closed how do you find out?
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
    It SAYS "post closed" in big read letter at the bottom of a moderator or administrator's last post... and you can no longer add to this post.
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Nov 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Oh mine did not do that it just vanished!
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 02:41 PM
    That means that it was deleted or moved to the appropriate category.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I was under the impression that only file sharing was illegal. I don't do that, I download a song, burn it, and delete it.
    That's filesharing and that's piracy.

Nov 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma

I'm not trying to rude here, I am trying to get correct information and possibly some help..
    You've been giving the correct information and you are really being naïve if you think that downloading a song and burning it is NOT file sharing. File sharing involves two parts, the person who makes the file available and the person who download it. If you are downloading songs that are being sold in stores without paying for them, do you really think that's OK? Or did you not want to think about it because you were getitng free music? If you had recorded a song and were trying to sell it, but people were just giving it away to anyone who wanted it, wouldn't you be upset that you were losing money?

Unfortunately, you are not alone. There are loads of unwitting pirates out there that use all sorts of rationalizations to justify stealing music and other copyrighted works. Yes I said STEALING because that's what getting something without paying for it or without permission is. But all those rationalizations are just people trying to deny what they know down deep.
    Try reading that link I put in the other thread. Try googling RIAA sues pirates and see what you get.

Now if you are an honest person, you will take every CD with a track that you have pirated and literally burn the CDs (as in melt them).
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You've been giving the correct information and you are really being naive if you think that downloading a song and burning it is NOT file sharing. File sharing involves two parts, the person who makes the file available and the person who download it. If you are downloading songs that are being sold in stores without paying for them, do you really think that's OK? Or did you not want to think about it because you were getitng free music? If you had recorded a song and were trying to sell it, but people were just giving it away to anyone who wanted it, wouldn't you be upset that you were losing money?

Unfortunately, you are not alone. There are loads of unwitting pirates out there that use all sorts of rationalizations to justify stealing music and other copyrighted works. Yes I said STEALING because that's what getting something without paying for it or without permission is. But all those rationalizations are just people trying to deny what they know down deep.
    Try reading that link I put in the other thread. Try googling RIAA sues pirates and see what you get.

Now if you are an honest person, you will take every CD with a track that you have pirated and literally burn the CDs (as in melt them).

Scott,

I would like to note although it is illegal in the US, it is not currently illegal in Canada to do what she is doing. In Canada pay royalties on all media such as CDs (but not harddrives) to cover the cost of songs which are copied or downloaded.

The only reason I mention this is that it is not fair to make a general comment that downloading music in this fashion is stealing or illegal. It is indeed illegal and stealing to do it in the US and no doubt in other countries, but there are many Canadians on here who are under a different copyright regime.

Since she is in the US, clearly your advice is appropriate for her, but it does not apply to all who are reading this thread.

Tom
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Scott,

I would like to note although it is illegal in the US, it is not currently illegal in Canada to do what she is doing. In Canada pay royalties on all media such as CDs (but not harddrives) to cover the cost of songs which are copied or downloaded.
    Actually that`s incorrect. Canadians are still open to copyright infringement. The levy is very well explained here:
    Private copying levy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference between the US and Canada is regards to the prosecution of such matters lies in our stronger personal information privacy laws. Currently if the RIAA or the CRIA asks an ISP for session information (who was using this IP at this specific time) based their gathering of IPs the ISP does not have to release that information. Recent laws in the US have made ISPs weary of fighting for the privacy of their users and so cave in at the slightest demand for information.

Nov 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Scott,

You have a valid point. This sounds similar to the compromise reached when the MPAA sued the makers of VCRs.

However, I can't imagine that a few cents per CD truly compensates for the loss of income from not paying for tracks. And how many Canadiens buy disks in bulk from Internet sources, thereby bypassing this surcharge.

Checking out NK's link there is this passage:

In conjunction with the levy, the Copyright Act allows individuals to make copies of sound recordings for their own private, non-commercial use. They may not distribute the copy.

This would still make the downloading copies made by others illegal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

View more questions Search