Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lafalot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Ceiling leak from upstairs shower
    Is there a gasket around the chrome plate for the tub drain lever? I thought I fixed my leak by tightening the 2 screws which were loose. Now the leak is back and the screws are tight. If there is a gasket it might be bad. Any thoughts?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
    To repair this, I close or cover the drain to not lose parts, unscrew the overflow plate and remove it. Then soften some plumbers putty by kneading it in my hands and using my thumb I push a small amount of putty around the rim of the rubber gasket on the back of the tub overflow as I gently hold the overflow ever so slightly off the tub wall. Then as overflow returns to tub wall, wipe off excess and replace plate and screws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away. Recently we...

Ceiling leak form upstairs shower [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a gasket around the chrome plate for the tub drain lever? I thought I fixed my leak by tightening the 2 screws which were loose. Now the leak is back and the screws are tight. If there is a gasket it might be bad. Any thoughts?

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

Leak from upstairs shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior...

View more questions Search