Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgolder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
    How can I legally change my baby's name?
    I have a 10 month old son who's father has nothing to do with him. Hs father was at the hospital when he was born and actually named my son after him (my son is a junior) but once we came home from the hospital he basically had nothing to do with our son. When my son was 6 weeks, my son and I moved from Georgia to Texas. His father has provided absolutely no financial support. He has changed numbers and refused to give me a way to contact him. I want to change my son's first and middle name so that he is no longer a junior. He can keep his father's last. How do I go about doing this considering I have no contact with his father and have no way of contacting him? I would like to do this before my son turns a year old.
    sweetkendra Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 11:03 AM
    You would most likely would have to retain a lawyer for this purpose and take it to court in order to change his name.
    tgolder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgolder
    I have a 10 month old son who's father has nothing to do with him. Hs father was at the hospital when he was born and actually named my son after him (my son is a junior) but once we came home from the hospital he basically had nothing to do with our son. When my son was 6 weeks, my son and I moved from Georgia to Texas. His father has provided absolutely no financial support. He has changed numbers and refused to give me a way to contact him. I want to change my son's first and middle name so that he is no longer a junior. He can keep his father's last. How do I go about doing this considering I have no contact with his father and have no way of contacting him? I would like to do this before my son turns a year old.
    Even if I have no way to contact his father?
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Get an attorney, you will have to go to court.

If you don't know his address they could serve his last known address or look up his current work address with the state and serve the papers to him there. After so may days of no response they could go forward and take the matter to a Judge. You might have to place a add a news paper in the area you believe he lives or where he did live. Your attorney would tell you how to do that and if you should.

If he shows up and fights it you most likely won't be able to change it.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 03:03 PM
    I am not too sure about the ENTIRE name, but in most states you can change the last name of a baby on your own before the baby is a year old. Once the child is a year old you need the permission of the father in order to change the name.

I would call down to the local courthouse in your area and see if they can tell you since your child is less than a year old are you able to change the child's name.
    Or contact local attorneys and see which ones offer a free consultation. Sit down and talk with them and see what the laws are where you live and what steps you need to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby's last name [ 4 Answers ]

I am 6 months pregnant and so confused. The baby's father wants the baby to have his last name, but the dad has not help or been a part of the pregnancy this far. I have invited him to all my doctor's appt. and he says he wants to come but never does. He has 2 kids already and the live with him. He...

How do I change baby's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old daughter her father wanted her to have his last name so I gave my baby his last name but needless to say he is not even apart of her life anymore I live in west Virginia and he lives in ny my question is how much would it cost to change her last name

Change baby's name. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. On my daughters birth certificate it says 'unknown' as the biological father. I am now married to a different man, who is not my daughters biological father. How do I go about doing this if I have no biological father listed on her birth certificate. I know who her biological father is, but...

Can an adult change their last name legally? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I change my name to a previously used surname? I'd like to change it to my previous husband's name. I did not change it when I got a divorce from my second husband--my ex was married at that time, and it would have caused tension. I'd like to have the same name as our daughter; I prefer the...

View more questions Search