Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiff0326 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Fridge - Drain Pan
    Does anyone know how to clean a non-removable drain pan at the back of the fridge. It is very hard to get at and I think that may be where my problem is.

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Hard to say without seeing it. You could at least try pouring some bleach in it. Maybe even through a drain inside the refrigerator. Even if it only cut the smell temporarily, you would identify the problem and could work on a more ambitious plan. Also, check with a store that sells the brand or the manufacturer's customer service. A pan that can't be removed and cleaned seems dumb to me.

Dec 3, 2005, 01:46 PM
    It's a frigidaire... I agree it's dumb that you can't remove it. The manual suggests cleaning it w/ soap and water but you can't even reach inside of it.

Where would a drain be inside the freezer?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 3, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiff0326
    It's a frigidaire...I agree it's dumb that you can't remove it. The manual suggests cleaning it w/ soap and water but you can't even reach inside of it.

Where would a drain be inside the freezer?
    ussualy they are accessible. Some pans do slide out... if it is in the front you have to take off the front grill... if you could see it from the top; you could clean it by using hose(small)/ wetvac/ long brush (tooth brush tape to woodenstick)... the drain for the freezer ussualy go down to the same drain( directly/indirectly) you having problem with
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 3, 2005, 03:39 PM
    How old is your refrig? I have a frigidaire under/over & the pan is very accesible. Its sit upon the compressor behind of the frig.

Dec 3, 2005, 06:12 PM
    It's brand new (probably bought in April). I was going to pour bleach down the back of the inside of the freezer (which should drain down) but the guy at the store said that was a bad idea because of electrical, but I don't see how electrical should be back there.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 3, 2005, 08:50 PM
    Any owners manual?
    Don't see how pouring bleach would hurt the electric inside the freezer. Its not like your pouring gallons inside the freezer.
    Don't pour straight bleach, but dilute it w/ water, if that's what your going to do.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2005, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiff0326
    It's brand new (probably bought in April). I was going to pour bleach down the back of the inside of the freezer (which should drain down) but the guy at the store said that was a bad idea b/c of electrical, but I don't see how electrical should be back there.
    They put exposed electrical parts under a drain in addition to a pan that can't be removed? Are their engineers Larry, Curly, and Mo? Lets hope the guy at the store is just a dummy. What happens if you spill something and it goes down the drain? I suspect it is safe to run liquid down the drain, and there is some way of getting the pan out.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Have you been able to resolve this? If not, get me a model number and I can try to help. I am a Frigidaire factory authorized technician.
    jr123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
    I realize this is an older post, but I have the same problem. Have a Kenmore purchased from Sears in 2005. Unable to remove evaporation or drain pan. Took part of your suggestion and used a large spoon and put distilled vinegar in with water, will use toothbrush on a stick after soaking, then I'm thinking of getting a turkey baster & removing the water that way. There is insulation looking stuff on bottom , I put baking soda on that, hosed off the grill, will hose off the soda later. When the fan on the bottom of frig kicks on there is a dirty odor that I'm trying to get rid of. Tried Lysol, works for a couple days. We have a dog, he might have laid on floor in front of frig, the frig might have picked up his odor and is now recirculating it? Dog's quarters are now outside. Soaking the ceramic tile in front of frig with vinegar as I speak, will wipe that up and then use baking soda on the floor for awhile. I cannot imagine who made these refrigerators like this, will check out the next one more thouroughly (might be soon & not a Kenmore or Frigidare as the other person had). Thanks for any suggestions or comments good or bad. I checked owners manual no suggestions on removing evaporation tray as they call it.

Thanks,
    Joanna
    jimmy33945 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Well hurricane Irene came through CT and knocked out the power for about a week. I failed to take the frozen cows liver out of the freezer in time and blood dripped down the back wall and into the drain and then to the drain pan. All set right? I mean that's why those things are there. The problem lies in the genius design that doesn't allow you to remove the drip pan without taking the fridge apart! Rotting cows blood is stinking me out of my house! Whirlpool Gold side by side model #GD5DHAXVY. Anyone out there have an issue like this with this fridge? To design a fridge so the drain pan doesn't just slide out is beyond stupid.
    jmbit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
    I have the same problem with mine , I had a bad smell in my kitchen I took a rag and wrapped it around a stick also sprayed some freebreeze on the toe plate

This is a horrible design problem with this fridge , mine is less then a year old
    jimmy33945 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
    $200 for a tech to come out and get the pan out. Ridiculous.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
    I always take it outside and use the water hose on it. Then take off the cover to freezer coils and use hose to flush out drain line and clean the whole unit. Clean the coils under it, as well. Using this method to clean every inch of the refrigerator will make it work well again. There is no better way to do this. DrTom4444
    blacy182 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
    I have a frigidare and the smell from a drip pan that is seemingly unaccessable is running me out of my house. I live in the middle of nowhere so a tech is hard to come by. Somehow shrimp juice got in it and it smells like a dead body in my house. I have taken off the front panel but there is no access. I don't see where to access it from the back either. The only suggestion that seems remotly feesable I have seen so far is to take it outside and turn it on its side to drain and hose it down. I am afraid I would do more harm then good and since I am a genuis that built custom cabinets around a fridge and freezer that is a size not made anymore I need this one to work. Anyone has seen how the repair man accesses this please write back. Baking soda and vinager are not going to fix this one, It has to be emptied out some how. If anyone has actually seen a tech access this drip pan please tell me how they did it. Yes, I will take it apart if I have to, Just please tell me what to take apart and where to start.

Mar 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy33945 View Post
    $200 for a tech to come out and get the pan out. Ridiculous.
    Did you see him do it? I live in the middle of nowhere so a tech is hard to come by. I am assuming I have to take the thing apart somehow to get out the shrimp (or dead body) but I am wondering where to start disassembling. The front seems not accessible, did he seem to go through the back somehow or from the inside somehow. Id just get a new one, but I have a side by side and would need a fridge and freezer both and then new cabinets since I am the genius that built custome cabinets around a pair that is a size no one makes anymore. Agghhhhh!

Mar 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy33945 View Post
    Well hurricane Irene came through CT and knocked out the power for about a week. I failed to take the frozen cows liver out of the freezer in time and blood dripped down the back wall and into the drain and then to the drain pan. All set right? I mean that's why those things are there. The problem lies in the genius design that doesn't allow you to remove the drip pan without taking the fridge apart! Rotting cows blood is stinking me out of my house! Whirlpool Gold side by side model #GD5DHAXVY. Anyone out there have an issue like this with this fridge? To design a fridge so the drain pan doesn't just slide out is beyond stupid.
    Same problem, and it seems common. Mines shrimp and disgusting too. If can be done because someone else said a tech did it for $200. If you figure out how he did it let me know and I will do the same. I live far from any techs so I am on my own in this. If I figure it out though, I will let you know too. PS this must be a racket because mine is a frigidare
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2012, 10:39 AM
    The compressor support bracket drops down. All you have to do is lean refrigerator against a support and remove 4 bolts around bottom, but be careful not to sharply bend any tubing. You can then get enough clearance to clean out drain pan with bleach and a water hose. You can also slide out cover on freezer coils by removing a few screws and wash out under coils, which I would do first.
    mad mommie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Non-removeable drip pans are disgusting. I strongly urge anyone that has one and has bad smells or can see mold in it to take photos and file a report with CPSC. My son has been really sick this winter with skin and breathing problems. We were told he has mold and dust mite alergies. We had a long list of things we needed to do to help. One was clean the fridge drip pan at least once a year, and inspect it regularly for mold. Ours can not be removed according to maytag except by a tech, and should be replaced if it is. It's a $90 part plus the cost of the tech. Ridiculous for something I should be able to pull out and bleach. I filed a complaint with the CPSC as I feel drip pans that can not be easily cleaned are a health hazard and they are looking into it. Unfortunately one person's story will not likely get much attenton. If a lot of people have problems these could get recalled and have to be replaced with something cleanable. The companies should know better!
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
    I agree totally with you. They are a nuisance to techs as well as the general public.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag fridge not cooling II [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I'm a newbie - earlier this year there was a thread describing a problem and solutions almost identical to mine. I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator Model # MTB1956GE*. Like "Maytag fridge not cooling", my evap fan (the one that cools the coils on bottom/rear of fridge) won't always kick on...

Dripping Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator with freezer on top, bought in 1998. There is water dripping from the top of the fridge. From reading other messages, I understand that there is probably something clogged/frozen. Is there anything I can do without taking everything out of my refrigerator and/or freezer? Or...

Fridge on too long [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a used house that came with a Maytag fridge. The fridge seems to stay on far too long. I have turned the setting dial to mid-way (5 of 10), but it still stays on far too long compared to other fridges I've had. What could be the reason? What can I do to fix? Thanks!

Maytag fridge noises [ 1 Answers ]

I started renting my current apartment 3 months ago. The fridge is newer and nice but ever since I moved in it makes thwocking noises like someone is inside of it throwing rocks at the door. They are very loud! I haven't been too worried until I opened up the freezer(top) section yesterday and...

Tiny fridge, hot in back [ 4 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new 1.7 cubic feet Haier refrigerator. About an hour after plugging it in, I noticed that the back coils were quite hot. Is this normal for a fridge? Ive done some googling around, and it seems to be normal, but want to be sure.

View more questions Search