Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindsaylovesyou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Average speeed man
    I have a lab report due tomorrow but I can't figure out the mathematics of it.

Here's my problem:

I have a data chart showing distance and time, and I need to find the average speed.

There are 31 pieces(?) of data.
    Each one has a measurement of distance and its time.
    I need to find the average speed of alll these and I can't seem to do it.
    My problem is that the distances are measured in cm,
    But the time is measured in 1/60th of a second each.

If the time stays consistent... meaning that there's a 1/60th of a second increase each time, but the distance increases each time, HOW DO I FIND THE AVERAGE SPEED?

Thanks.
    Peace.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Average speed is simple to calculate. Take the total distance traveled and divide it by the total amount of time elapsed.

So, in your case you have 31 pieces of data which are each 1/60th of a second apart. Assuming that the first piece of data was taken at time 0s the nth piece of data is at (n-1)/60 s. So you've got 1/2 second total. So the average speed will be the distance marked in the last piece of data divided by 0.5 s.

Hope that helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Average speed [ 7 Answers ]

Students make the trip to Los Angeles at an average speed of 40mph and the trip back at an average speed of 60 mph. Find their average speed for the entire trip. (It's Not 50 mph) Please help me answer this question and if possible, can u show the steps of solving it. Thank You so much.

Average Speed Anyone? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lab report due tomorrow but I can't figure out the mathematics of it. Here's my problem: I have a data chart showing distance and time, and I need to find the average speed. There are 31 pieces(?) of data. Each one has a measurement of distance and its time. I need to find the...

Average Speed [ 2 Answers ]

A car traveled 28 miles in 30 minutes. How many miles per hour was it traveling?

Speed average [ 1 Answers ]

A bicyclist rides up a 10 mile hill at a constant speed of 10 MPH. He arrives at the top and heads down to the bottom at a constant speed of 30 MPH What is his average speed for the round trip?

What is average? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi im 13 and i was just wondering wat the average weight is for a 13 yr old girl?:p

View more questions Search