Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vijay2r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 06:06 AM
    How to configure free pop3 and smtp in outlook express through yahoo.com
    Hi guys,

Please help me out how to configure the outlook express (free pop3 and smtp) through yahoo.com

Regards

vijay :confused:
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
    You can't really do that for free. Yahoo makes you subscribe to their MAIL plus account. Its not that bad if you use your Yahoo account a lot. For only $19.99

> http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 28, 2006, 02:00 AM
    Q-man has a good point, but the odd thing is I can access my Yahoo via POP3 and its just standard.
    You may be able to do this as well.
    If you go to OPtions and see if you have an option called POP Access & Forwarding. If you have you will be able to access you Yahoo via POP3.
    All the settings you need are detailed there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2006, 07:38 AM
    I don't seem to have the same options as Ben, for me POP3 service is only available as a fee option.

As for SMTP, you would use the SMTP server provided by your ISP.
    neilmehta27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
    Try out this too……

To get POP3 mail access with the standard Yahoo email account you need to sign up as a Yahoo! Delivers member (currently February 2004 free). Once signed up you then need to enable POP3 access and mail forwarding. You will find both options on the mail options page of your mailbox. The procedure is as follows:
    If you are not signed into your account, you can check your status or become a Yahoo! Delivers member by doing the following:
    1. Sign into your Yahoo! Mail account.
    2. Click on Mail Options on the top right-hand corner.
    3. Click on Yahoo! Delivers on the Options Page
    4. Click Yes! please enrol me in the Yahoo! Delivers promotional program..
    5. Fill out the rest as you desire, then click the button, Finish.
    Once you have completed these steps, click on POP3 and Forwarding Status on the Options page to continue with your registration for these services.
    -------------------------------------------------
    If you do have POP3 access then proceed as follows:
    Once POP3 mail access has been enabled you then need to configure Outlook Express. To configure you will need to know the names of POP3 and SMTP severs. This varies depending on region. e.g. the POP3 server for USA users is POP.mail.yahoo.com and for UK users it is POP.mail.yahoo.co.uk . The following uses USA servers, for users in other regions just modify the POP3 and SMTP server addresses, if in doubt consult MailOptions- Help.
    The following information is required to configure your Yahoo email POP3 account:
    Incoming mail (POP3) server: POP.mail.yahoo.com (USA customers)
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Account name: Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without @yahoo.com)
    Outlook Express allows you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means you do not have to replace your current settings in order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages. The procedure is as follows:
    1. From the Tools menu, choose Accounts.
    2. Select the Mail tab.
    3. Click the Add button.
    4. From the Add menu, click Mail.
    5. In the text box labelled Display Name, type your name and click Next.
    6. In the Email Address and the reply address box , type your Yahoo! Mail address (be sure to include @yahoo.com) and click Next. ( for more details on these addresses see my how to set up email addresses article)
    7. Under My incoming mail server is a... select POP3.
    8. Type POP.mail.yahoo.com in the Incoming Mail (POP3, IMAP4, or HTTP) Server box.
    9. Type smtp.mail.yahoo.com in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
    10. Click Next.
    11. In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the @yahoo.com).
    12. In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
    13. If you want Outlook Express to remember your password, check the Remember password box.
    14. Do not check the boxes labelled Log on using Secure...
    15. Click Next.
    16. Click Finish.
    Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on:
    2. Select the Mail tab.
    3. Double-click the account labelled POP.mail.yahoo.com
    4. Select the Servers tab.
    5. Check the box next to My Server Requires Authentication.
    6. Click OK.
    To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server:
    2. Select the Mail tab.
    3. Double-click the account labelled POP.mail.yahoo.com.
    4. Select the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check Leave a copy of messages on server if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer. Do not check this box if you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook Express. If you want to access your email from both the Outlook Express client and the Yahoo web based client then you need to leave a copy of the mail on the server.

Done! You can now access your Yahoo mail using Outlook Express.

POP Yahoo! Mail Plus with Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP) and 2003
    If you want to POP your Yahoo! Mail Plus into Outlook 2002 or 2003, here's how:
    1. From the Tools menu, select "Email Accounts."
    2. Select the radio button next to "Add a new email account" and click the "Next" button.
    3. Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.
    4. Enter the following information:
    User Information
    o Your Name: Enter your name as you'd like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
    o Email Address: Enter your full Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "[email protected]").
    Server Information
    o Incoming mail server (POP3): plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
    o Outgoing mail server (SMTP): plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Login Information
    o User Name: Enter your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
    o Password: Enter your Yahoo! Password.
    5. Do not check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)."
    6. Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.
    7. Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication."
    8. Click the “Advanced” tab.
    9. Under “Incoming Server (POP3)”, check the box next to “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)". The port number in the “Incoming Server (POP3)" field should automatically change from 110 to 995. If it doesn’t, make sure the port number is set to 995.
    10. Under “Outgoing Server (SMTP)”, check the box next to “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL). Enter port number “465” in the “Outgoing Server (SMTP)” field.
    11. If you'd like to keep a copy of your email messages on the Yahoo! Mail server, click the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server." If you want to delete your messages from the Yahoo! Mail server after viewing them in Outlook, don't check the box.
    12. Click the "OK" button.
    13. Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click "Finished."
    Troubleshooting instructions.
    If you followed the above configuration steps, you should be all set. However, if you cannot send or receive mail with your email client, try the following tips.
    The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires authentication. Make sure you have enabled SMTP authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:
    1. Click "Tools," then select "Email Accounts."
    2. Select "View or change existing email accounts" and click "Next."
    3. Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click the "Change" button on the right.
    4. Click the "More Settings..." button in the bottom-right corner of the Email Accounts window.
    5. In the Internet Email Settings window, click the "Outgoing Server" tab. Ensure that the box is checked next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication."
    6. Click the "Advanced" tab and ensure that you have not selected "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" under the incoming (POP3) or outgoing (SMTP) port settings.
    To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server, follow these steps:
    1. From the Tools menu, choose "Email Accounts."
    2. Select the radio button next to "Edit an existing account" and click the "Next" button.
    3. Double-click the Yahoo! Account.
    4. Select the "Advanced" tab.
    5. In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check "Leave a copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on both the Yahoo! Mail server and on your local computer. If you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server after you have received them in Outlook, do not check this box.
    We strongly recommend that you enable SSL for both POP and SMTP, as detailed in the above instructions. This will ensure that your Yahoo! ID, password and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail client and the Yahoo! Servers. However, if you choose to not use SSL for SMTP, your email client will likely default the SMTP port to 25. If your ISP blocks port 25 or if you're unable to send email, then you will need to use port 587 when sending via Yahoo!'s SMTP server. To make this change, please follow the directions below:
    1. From the "Tools" menu, select "Accounts"
    2. Select your Yahoo! POP account and click on the "Properties" button
    3. Click on the "Advanced" tab
    4. Next to "Outgoing server (SMTP), change port 25 to 587
    5. Click "Apply", then click ", then click " and "Close"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 6 Answers ]

How do I retrieve files once Outlook express has Auto compacted them. I want to get information from the files that went off my screen. Is there a path to locate these files.? Aljay

Problems with pop3 and smtp [ 2 Answers ]

Basically, I haven't got a clue about this, all I want to do is send an error report but don't know how to set this stuff up.:confused:

Outlook Express 6+ pop3.log [ 6 Answers ]

OE 6 Help explains how to create a pop3.log by going to TOOLS->OPTIOSN->MAINTENANCE and ticking MAIL under troubleshooting. On my system, this does not work. I am the Administrator, running an auto-updated XP Home Edition. The outbound mail doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, and I need...

Outlook express [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new computer{XP} and gave my daughter the old {98}. I set up a router so that she can get the web and to share other programs. I have no problems moving programs to mine from hers except OutLook Express 6, I would love to have mu old e-mail addys and saved e-mails. What am I doing wrong...

Outlook Express 5 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- Using 98SE--My Outlook Express 5 is all messed up--I went to Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing under that to remove the Outlook Express and start over from scratch--Thanks for any suggestions--

View more questions Search