Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Dust in House
    When we moved into our house several years ago we never had any dust problem. Now after several years we've notice we have a lot more dust than we use to have. Several people have told me that I need to get my ducts cleaned and this should fix this problem. The problem I have is I installed filters in all my outlet ducts (the inlet duct has Hi Efficiency filters) and these filters don't seem to catch a lot of dust. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what have you done to correct it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Where do you live and is this a forced hot air furnace?
    hixton Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Nov 26, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Do you have first floor laundry you will get a lot of dust from your dryer check your vents make sure it's clean and you have a tight connection even so you will still have some dust they don't make the drums sealed that tight any more

Nov 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Where do you live and is this a forced hot air furnace?
    No. I have a Heat pump split unit.

Nov 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
    OK but is it forced hot air, with hot air registers and retrun air vents.

Nov 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hixton
    do you have first floor laundry you will get a lot of dust from your dryer check your vents make sure it's clean and you have a tight connection even so you will still have some dust they don't make the drums sealed that tight any more
    No I replaced the dryer duct work about a month ago. It was clogged and it caused my dryer to overheat and burn out the thermal switch. No it's not much dust in the laundry room.

Nov 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    OK but is it forced hot air, with hot air registers and retrun air vents.
    Well electric with heat strips has one return 25X20 with at least one register in each room. Compressor outside and the blower and heat strips in attic. South Carolina.

Nov 26, 2007, 06:20 PM
    You were likely typing your answer about the dryer when I did my post so you missed it. Get back to me when you can regarding the hot air registers and return vents.

Nov 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
    OK check out the blower, there should be a verticle drawer that holds a filter for the whole house. Have you changed that filer lately? If it isn't replaced twice per year it can plug up or worse yet blow out and release a years worth of dust. If you have a high efficiency filetr on every register and every return duct plus the whole house filter you probably have reduced your air flow below what's needed. Remove the individual filters and go with one good high efficiency whole house filetr.
    PhyllisMoore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It is a regular gar burnng heater I live near Little Rock AR
    PhyllisMoore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Comment on hixton's post
    My dryer is brand spanking new

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing furnace and a lot of dust [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Quietline Deluxe furance model 397EAW036100. I have been told it's between 20 to 30 years old. It makes a loud buzzing noise when it kicks on and then the blower will start. The noise continues until the flames stop, but the blower will continue for about a minute or so then...

People turn to dust [ 3 Answers ]

I watched this movie when I was a kid in the 70's. Some people were in a cave, maybe scientist, maybe related family, they saw a flash a light come from outside. The vehicle did not start. They started walking. The house they came to, no one around. The clothes were laid out on the bed with a...

Truck windshield has dust like particles in it? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a certified toyota tacoma truck. My problem is that it has a dust like appearance PERMANENT imbedded in wind shield. No matter how clean it is, it has a dust like appearance in sun light. Almost like sm stones hit it. Any cures to remove? Thanks,John :confused:

Drwall dust clean-up [ 7 Answers ]

How do you clean up dry wall dust from sanding 4 walls and a ceiling.

Dust falling from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with what appears to be Sheetrock dust covering everything in my condo. I clean everything up but after a day the dust is back. It is difficult to breathe and I am trying to figure out a way to determine what this dust is or to get stop it from falling from the ceiling. I...

View more questions Search