Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beli50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 04:38 PM
    File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file?
    I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Well, you do NOT have to file in Florida, as Florida has NO state income tax.

You DO have to file a NY state tax return for the money earned with NY state borders. Since you are located in NY, that's basically ALL of your income.

Have you been making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS and NY state?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file state tax for Florida [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in Florida for 3 months, Florida doesn't have state tax right, So do I need to file state tax for Florida ? Please let me know, Santosh!

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

Lived in Florida and moved to va do I file twice? [ 7 Answers ]

I lived in Florida up until August of 2005 then moved to Virginia. I am trying to do my taxes online through H&R block and not getting any answers. Do I need to file the 2 states separate? Or can I do it all together? I really don't want to have to have a tax preparer do it and pay the $ when I...

How to pay/file tax: F-1 OPT self-employed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 OPT and would like to work self-employed in the field I studied. More specifically, as an individual engineering consultant. Please help me with the following questions. (1) Is this legal? (2) Are there special procedures I need to go through? (e.g. register business)...

View more questions Search