Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Dog started biting
    My dog has recently started biting. He is a 2 year old long hair Chihuahua/border terrier mix. He is very affectionate. To the point that I can't get things done because he is at my feet waiting for attention. He has always been a very good boy. Loveable, playful.

The problem seems to be confined to my bedroom. He does not bite my husband or daughter, but yesterday my nephew crawled up on my bed and my dog bit his nose. Last week, my mom came into my room and he bit her rear. My husband pointed out that a few weeks back my daughter and her friend were in the hall (near my room) and he snapped at my daughter's friends fingers. I don't know what to do.
    :confused:
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
    It appears he may be becoming very possessive of the area where he is biting people, and trying to keep intruders out because he sees it as HIS space.

One thing that I've heard is helpful in showing a dog who is boss in the house is to make certain rooms completely off limits to him- for our dog, it's the bathroom, the foyer by the door, and the computer room- he'll stick his head in to peek at us if we're in there. He can come in if we invite him in. But he knows better than to just go in there on his own. He'll just sit and wait and watch, but he knows that's a place that he's not supposed to go without permission. And it keeps him in check and lets him know that he's not in charge.

Along with that, he has his own place where he feels safe and is totally his... his crate. When we yell at him or each other, it's where he goes to get away and feel comfortable- someplace like that is probably the best place to make 'his' because it's not someplace where others in the house would likely want to go into!

Maybe, if you don't already have one, get a crate to keep your dog in and get him used to it. Give him a soft blanket, a favorite toy that he has ONLY in his crate- it'll become his 'den'- his safe place- and a place that it's okay for him to be protective of.

And maybe keep him out of the bedroom for a while so he gets the message that he's not king of that domain-

Since he's a small dog, limiting where he goes and what he does should be pretty easy.

Nov 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
    A crate is a good idea. Right now he sleeps on my bed. I think I found my problem :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
    He seems to be protecting you, He will most likely work up to your daughter then husband. If he were mine I would keep him out of my bedroom and my bed. If he behaved like this on the couch that would be off limits as well. He must see that he is below everyone. Hopefully he is neutered, if not have a talk with his vet.

Nov 26, 2007, 03:21 PM
    He is neutered. I'm afraid that I in my attempts to love him, I may have created this mess. Up until a month ago I was working at home. He would sit on my lap while I worked, we'd play together outside and snuggle on the couch. He has an elevated seat in my car so he can see out the window and is, I am now realizing as I type this - spoiled. GGGRRRRR!! Can I undo this without making him feel unwanted? :(
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Yes. I don't take much of the 'dog whisperer' or 'dog listener' or any of these dog gurus advice seriously- but this bit made sense to me and seemed to help the minor problems we had when we first got our dog.
    Dogs aren't people, and when we treat them like people we confuse them. We make them feel they are in charge, and since they're not equipped to care for their 'pack' they get stressed and overwhelmed.
    I read that dogs need three things: exercise, discipline, and affection.
    And that they should be given in that order.
    Exercise to get their energy out. Discipline so they know their place (because it's important for dogs to know where they stand in the family structure). And affection because they're pack animals and need to feel connected to their 'pack'.
    Some people (like me!) are tempted to just give affection- but that's in actuality bad for the dog. And I've had to try very hard to keep myself in check and not fawn over him, no matter how cute he is.
    Start exercising him so he an get his energy out. Small dogs have tons of energy, and even just running around the house should be enough. Train him for about 15 minutes at a time, and rewarding him for good behavior. (Dogs love to make you happy- so training will be a positive experience for the dog, as well as make him more enjoyable to the family). And then be affectionate, but on your terms, at least for the most part.
    Dogs who are 'in charge' can demand attention from other members of the pack. He needs to know he's not the boss and he gets attention when you decide to give it- that's not to say you'll need be neglectful- sounds like you really love your dog, so I doubt that's even a possibility.
    But lessen the affection, and try to emphasise the exercise and training for a while. This should help him balance out and realize it's not his job to defend you- I think it's adorable that little dogs think that they have to take care of YOU- but they do. And because they can't, that's when they start to act out and do whatever they can to fulfill what they perceive to be their role.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:45 PM
    You have to let him know that he can't bite. He will not want to leave your room, bed or lap but you don't want him to hurt anyone either. Even small dogs can cause major damage. He will do nothing but worse unless you curb this. He will whine and throw a fit when you make him leave your room. But you must get him out of your bedroom.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 04:43 PM
    After reading your original post, I thought it was a routine case of a dog maturing and challenging you for leadership. I suspect there is a strong element of that in the problem. The change in routine is a big factor too. Dogs are pack animals and need companionship. Perhaps some of this is an attempt to show his place in the pack and influence you into staying around. What ever else you do, it is critical you claim your place a leader. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Your bed becomes your bed. He is no longer allowed on it. You don't mention if you have been letting him sleep in your bed. If so, stop. I do have to agree a crate is a good idea. If you check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 you will see I strongly recommend them. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

I think exercise is greatly over rated in controlling dog behavior. The top 3 things ar eleadership, leadership, and leadership. Many professional dog trainers have exercise as their last refuge. If they can't solve the problem, they announce the solution is a 3 hour walk every day. Of course nobody has time for that, and if they don't follow it, it is not the trainer's fault the ill behavior continues.

In some ways, he will get his way, in teaching obedience, you will have to spend more time with him. It would be better if the rest of the family works on it too. They certainly will need to learn and apply the top dog rules, or at least if they don't want bit.

How old is your daughter? With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea. In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings for extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog or canine club.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Biting For No Reason [ 1 Answers ]

My dog obeys me, but only if I have something he wants. When he was around three months old, whenever I try to pet him, he would always try to bite my hands, it's his way of telling me to chase him. I understand that he was still really young and he's teething, I tried to teach him not to bite...

Biting puppy [ 3 Answers ]

My staffordshire puppy is 16 weeks old, after having very hard time when we got her, i.e. nearly dying twice and costing us a fortune at vets, she is currently waiting for second injection, due in 6 days, she has never been for a walk yet as not fully covered for parvo etc, she is a lovely puppy,...

Cat biting itself [ 1 Answers ]

Have taken cat to 6 different vets and everyone says something different, nothing ia helping our cat. We are a family of pet lovers and I have never seen anything like this. Our cat "baby girl" is chewing at her skin up to the point of it bleeding---her intense biting at her nipples is strange,...

Duncan still biting [ 2 Answers ]

Duncan is a BIG boy now almost 70lbs and he's been overall a very good pup. Sometimes though, he does still bite my fiancé and lunges at her, when they are playing ball or something, he'll drop the ball and start trying to bite. He doesn't typically do this with me. He has been neutered and...

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

View more questions Search