Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teltech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 07:52 PM
    3 amp fuse blown
    I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2005, 08:07 PM
    This doesn't make complete sense. Both the gas valve and blower relay depend on the 24 volts to their coil. When the fuse blows, the blower should stop as well as the gas valve shut. Either coil could be shorting out when it has had power for a while. Shut the power off. If you have an ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the gas valve coil. Them replace the fuse and let it run until the fuse blows. Immediately recheck the resistance of the gas valve. If it is much lower or 0, the gas valve is the problem.

Unfortunately it sounds like the blower relay is sticking too if it runs more than a few minutes after the heat quits. If it is on a circuit board, it is hard to check and replace. You may end up replacing the circuit board.
    mitchella Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 05:37 PM
    I have a carrier, and had to replace the original fan control board with a new one. It was an upgraded microprocessor control, with a fan relay on/off and another relay hi/low speed. Not like t he original low speed heat/ high speed cool relay setup. By default, when the new board's 3 amp fuse blows, it defaults to low speed fan on. This carier board is just like an ICM 271 board, and you can find it on the web and look at the specific instructoins and details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civic Blown Fuse Or Relay Won't shift into Drive! [ 2 Answers ]

97 Civic-Car Starts-Can't put it into drive-Blown Fuse or Relay? My '97 Civic starts right up, however…… Can't put it into Drive! (Yes I know that I need to step on the brake!) Here are the details; 1- When I depress the thumb button on the shifter the relay clicks at the ignition switch, will...

Blown bulbs when switching on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Having an odd problem w/ light bulbs blowing across 3 circuits with no dimming or brightening. When switch is flipped on, bulbs immediately fail, one actually made a small "pop" sound--6 in all in one week. Also had reverb on computer speakers. Basic Info: 80 year old house; all new...

Blown gasket or blown cilynder [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... lets get down to it... I know nothing about cars... I am 17 and a girl and my dad know about as much about cars as I do. Well here's what's happened with my '97 saturn SL1 in the past few weeks. ~My oil light comes on... I tell my dad and he tells me to check it. My boyfriend and I check...

Need More Air Blown [ 2 Answers ]

Our older furnace/ac (10 years) works fine except that the blower doesn't force enough air upstairs resulting in a big temp difference and resulting thermostat wars. I read somewhere that one can install supplemental blowers in the duct work. True? Issues? The company who does my annual system...

AC not working-Thermostat fuse blown? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in my basement tonight where my furnace and blower unit is located. I heard a small click and saw a flash of white light out of the corner of my eye. Not knowing what it was I inspected the furnace, water heater, etc. I then noticed that the air did not kick in. I checked my bnew Carrier...

View more questions Search