Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Mold on a few Xmas decorations, okay to clean and still use?
    I got out all my Christmas decorations last night from the basement.

I opened one tote and smelled an awful smell... come to find out 2 wooden decorations in the tote had mold on them.

The wood is finished on these decorations.

My questions is, I have cleaned these decorations with hot water, cleaner, and a scrub brush and have sprayed them with disinfectant.

One is a decoration you hang on the wall, one is a decoration that stands on the floor. Is it okay to still use these decorations since I have cleaned and disinfected them? Or is mold something that seeps into the wood and stays there?

*I have a 5 year old daughter, 2 dogs (one is pregnant), and 2 cats in my home.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Just got to the bottom of the tote and have found the cause...

Four plastic snowglobes broke and leaked out the water that was in them.

I have cleaned and disinfected everything in the tote, and am washing the fabric stuff.

Is this stuff okay to still use?
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Id think if you got all the mold off the wood and disinfected them with agood disinfectant,lysol or like and let them dry thoughrly you'll be o.k. drying is important,and that they don't have any mold on them black spots or stains you'll be o. k.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack dandy
    Id think if you got all the mold off of the wood and disinfected them with agood disinfectant,lysol or like and let them dry thoughrly you'll be o.k. drying is important,and that they dont have any mold on them black spots or stains you'll be o. k.
    That's funny that you mentioned Lysol... that's exactly the disinfect that I used :)

I scrubbed everything really good, and sprayed them with the Lysol... I will probably spray them again once they are dry.

Thanks again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper time to take down Holiday Decorations [ 16 Answers ]

When should one take down Christmas Lights and Decorations?

Wedding Decorations? [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help coming up with a good theme for my wedding decorations. I am getting married in August, probably outdoors and we are having a bbq for the reception. However, the dress code is still going to be at least semi-formal. I cannot stand the idea of doing the whole pink, purple, teal...

Holiday Dinner - try something new! [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any other thoughts?? Rosemary Garlic Roast Turkey By Evelyn Raab This recipe belongs to the following categories: ChristmasDinnerHealthyLunchMain CoursesMake AheadThanksgiving If Italians had invented roast turkey, it would turn out something like this. Wonderfully...

Home Alone @ Xmas [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem. If you have read all my other threads then you will know that my parents have split up etc. Anyway usually at xmas there is usually me, my mum, my two brothers, my nan, my auntie, my uncle, my cousin and my step-dad. It has been tradition for years - it's never been any...

View more questions Search