Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    domino815 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Cannot Defragment MY DOCUMENTS
    Hello,
    I am trying to speed up my computer by doing all the suggested things that I have read here. I have a DELL laptop, purchased July 2003, running Windows XP. I have deleted all programs that I don't need, like Microsoft Office 2003, I have Webroot Spysweeper, RegCure, NOD32 Virus Protector and I recently had DELL install a brand new motherboard on it. Still, even after running all the above, I cannot defragment 7.22 GB on Documents and Settings - the defragmenter just runs, cleans up C and then gives me the message it can't defrag My Documents. Can you tell me how to do this? The C drive says I have used 21.1
    With 6.79 GB left. Thanks for any help you can offer. :) Pam
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Nov 27, 2007, 01:38 AM
    Hi Pam

Use Defraggler - Defragment your files!

Cheers
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Try defragging from Safe mode
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Nov 27, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Look at the fragmentation report, what file(s) is it telling you that it can't defrag?
    Have you checked the drive for bad sectors recently?
    jaspreet2142 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Well sometimes dbig single files cannot be defragmented like .iso or big .rar etc
    Till you have enough space
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 29, 2007, 08:15 PM
    With 7.22 in My Doc and 6.79 still available, I don't think that all or most of My Doc is one large file or a large .zip or .rar so under normal circumstances, it should defrag.

Have you tried to move say half of the files to a different drive and tried to defrag My Doc and the new drive files on the 'moved to' drive??

Because of issues like this and other known problems in the past, I have made it my own policy not to put anything important on C drive other than new Programs (software), all my personal stuff goes on four other partitions, E, F, G and H drive. C is about 80GB and the other 4 are about 50GB each, 300GB HD.

If C craps out and the computer won't gain access or won't even boot, I can pull the HD out, turn it into an external HD with an adaptor, get my stuff from E ~ H and throw this one in the trash. Don't forget about backing your stuff up after cleaning up the HD and defragging, then backup, once a quarter or once a year depending on how much stuff you save on a daily basis. Smart guys back up daily or weekly, there is software to do this for you too.

Let us know what you figure out please.

Dec 1, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane in Japan
    With 7.22 in My Doc and 6.79 still available, I dont think that all or most of My Doc is one large file or a large .zip or .rar so under normal circumstances, it should defrag.

Have you tried to move say half of the files to a different drive and tried to defrag My Doc and the new drive files on the 'moved to' drive???

Because of issues like this and other known problems in the past, I have made it my own policy not to put anything important on C drive other than new Programs (software), all my personal stuff goes on four other partitions, E, F, G and H drive. C is about 80GB and the other 4 are about 50GB each, 300GB HD.

If C craps out and the computer wont gain access or wont even boot, I can pull the HD out, turn it into an external HD with an adaptor, get my stuff from E ~ H and throw this one in the trash. Dont forget about backing your stuff up after cleaning up the HD and defragging, then backup, once a quarter or once a year depending on how much stuff you save on a daily basis. Smart guys back up daily or weekly, there is software to do this for you too.

Let us know what you figure out please.
    Hey There. Thanks for your responses. I had already tried to defrag several times in Safe Mode and I tried the new Defraggler suggested above - no results. I am now going to try to move the files to my external hard drive - My Book - and see how that works.
    Will let you know. Thanks again.:)

Dec 1, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    Look at the fragmentation report, what file(s) is it telling you that it can't defrag?
    Have you checked the drive for bad sectors recently?
    Not sure how to check the drive for bad sectors. Can you elaborate please? Thanks:)

Dec 1, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Try defragging from Safe mode
    Yes I tried this about 4 times before posting here. No luck.:(
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Dec 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by domino815
    Not sure how to check the drive for bad sectors. Can you elaborate please? Thanks:)
    In My Computer right click on your C drive and select Properties.
    Click the Tools tab.
    Click the check now button.
    Click both check boxes and click the Start button.
    It should tell you that it can't obtain an exclusive lock and would you like to check the next time you boot up. Select Yes and reboot your computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defragment program will not run [ 4 Answers ]

Hope I'm not re-asking something that has already been answered. My defrag program shows on screen to be working but never makes any progress. (Windows 98 SE) Any ideas?

Documents [ 6 Answers ]

My ex- wife is trying to get a house but she wants me to sign a document stating that she will stop paying child support and will have custody of they kids... She said that she is only doing it to get in a house and also has a letter of intent for me to sign explaining why she is doing this with no...

Defragment hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

My friend has a IBM Thinkpad OS windows 98. He can no longer defragment his hard drive. After hours his hard drive flashs 0-2 percent done. I told him it's a hard drive problem. Anyone have any ideas? His computer is very slow. Thanks in advance. Fred :confused: OS

View more questions Search