Turning fork
    Why turning fork have two legs?
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Why that shape like "Y" ?

Nov 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Please anyone clear my doubts
    Why should the tuning fork have two prongs?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Good question. Clearly a single metal bar will produce a tone when struck and the frequency of a tuning fork is a function of the single tine length. I have two theories about why two tines are used:
    1: The tines resonate together in such a way as to prolong the duration of the sound.
    2: A single tine will create a sound of amplitude A and so n tines will create a sound of amplitude nA. Maybe two tines makes a reasonably loud enough sound without being too large for easy manipulation.

I hope someone else comes and puts their own two cents in because I'm not very certain about my answers!
    tjsail Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Nov 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
    If you just used a straight rod, and held it in your hand, your hand would damp out the vibrations. A tuning fork has a handle you can hold without disrupting the vibrations. I think there may be other reasons too. Something to do with vibration modes perhaps.

Nov 30, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Hi asterisk_man,
    single tine will create a sound of amplitude A and so n tines will create a sound of amplitude nA. Maybe two tines makes a reasonably loud enough sound without being too large for easy manipulation
    I thing your this idea is wrong, because we hit one side of turning fork’s prong, so that energy is distributed 2 prong.
    red_cartoon Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Nov 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
    When we hit the tuning fork we make on of the legs vibrate, as Kesavan said. Then, I think, the air trapped between the two legs of the fork is contracted and expanded rapidly. This helps to apply a force on the other leg as well and within some moments two legs resonate at the same frequency creating a good sound.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
    kesavan, you're certainly right that the energy will be distributed across 2 prongs. I think I had some additional complication in mind when I wrote that but I can't remember it now.

Another idea I had was that somehow the fork isolates the vibration from the handle but this is clearly not true because there is often mention of holding a tuning fork against a box of some kind to allow it to become even louder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knife or fork? [ 12 Answers ]

When I have a tender cut of meat, a pancake, large vegetables, etc. is it improper to cut with only my fork and not use my knife?

Coming to a fork [ 10 Answers ]

So I've come to the decision to let go. Even though I have been good and happy, even though I have missed her. I have made the decision to let go of her completely. And really mean and feel what I say. I can't harbour these emoitions any longer. I don't have it in me to try to care. It has...

Barak's done, stick a fork in him. [ 28 Answers ]

Over the past couple of weeks we have seen Barak Obama's lack of experience bite him on the butt. During the so-called Democratic "debate", Barak stated that in his first year as president he would sit down with a host of rogue nation's leaders, including Kim Jong Il, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Hugo...

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

When should toddler be using spoon/fork [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wanting some advice on this subject, Currently I am still feeding my son with a spoon myself and letting him feed himself with his fingers food that can be eaten that way. My mom said I need to start letting him feed himself with a spoon, that he should be attempting it right now. ...

View more questions Search