Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Poker
    I played poker for the first time last Friday and I had no idea what I was I was doing. I manged to beat my boyfriend and was one of the last 3 in. The thing is I can see it's going to become a more regular thing so I am just wondering if anyone can explain how to play (in the simplist way poss - because I get confused) so that I can totally surprise everyone with my new found knowledge when we play next. Cheers
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2005, 08:03 AM
    Try this:
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...tutorial&meta=
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2005, 08:10 AM
    Cheers - I will have a read and let you know If I grasp it?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    Cheers - I will have a read and let you know If I grasp it?!
    Until then keep the pound notes in your pocket. :D
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2005, 08:27 AM
    Only playing with Chips - would never contimplate playing for money unless I knew I was good and could fleece everyone lol
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2005, 08:41 AM
    Yahoo Games has a variety of "play money" poker games:
    http://games.yahoo.com/
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Poker
    Hi,
    Here is another link that looks very interesting:

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/

Best of luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2005, 10:46 PM
    Learn how to play poker... for free!

A free online game site that I use to play people all throughout Canada (and some Americans)...

http://www.tigergaming.net/

It's free so when you lose all your money, you don't go broke :)

Good site for playing poker, you download a program onto your computer and then use the internet to connect.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 02:49 AM
    Cheers Captain - that's fab!!
    sbhutch88 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Poker
    I recommend downloading the program at www.play4funpoker.net , this is the site that I used to like to use before I started playing with real money.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2006, 02:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhutch88
    i recomend downloading the program at www.play4funpoker.net , this is the site that i used to like to use before i started playing with real money.
    I don't think I will ever play with money. I am not much of a gambler - but being able to fleece my friends out of their chips will be good fun ;)
    ejj88 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Espn poker club is free and fun. Very realastic
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 03:21 PM
    my wife used to meet with some guys from her work and a few ladies and play poker and pool. Man... the smile she'd have when she put the guys to shame. =)

but then that's just been her m.o.. . her fav car was an old buick electra cause it was big but the engine would leave many boys in the dust.
    jatimon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
    I have a totally different opinion here.

If you are going to play poker, I mean actually play the game, you need to play for money. Money adds the sense of loss to the game. If you are just playing for chips that is all well and good to figure out which hands beat which other hands. But when there isn't money involved, there is nothing to stop you from betting like a maniac and losing. When you are set to lose say a hundred bucks, you will tend to think a bit before you act.

This is where the real fun begins. Learning odds of hitting your draw, learning how to understand your opponents and how to manipulate them with your play while not letting yourself be manipulated.

Basically poker play without money involved is a waste of time. I understand that you are new to the game and afraid of 'losing the house'. It is near impossible to develop a real sense of the game if there is nothing being wagered.

I personally think that the money you use to play with should be enough to hurt should you lose it, but not enough to leave your in financial ruin. This way it will sharpen your thought process.

You will find that your opponents are different when you play for real money too.

In the free online games when you bust out, just hit the button and you are back in. Nothing wagered, nothing gained.

This of course is just my opinion.

Now in answer to the question of how to learn, there are many online poker resources that will teach good thought principles and I fully recommend some reading. To actually learn these principles you will have to play the game.

So read instructional material and play the game. That is the best way (IMHO) of learning it.

Have a Google search for Noted Poker Authority. It's a good site with TONS of information, all Texas hold'em specific.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Poker Game in KY [ 5 Answers ]

I currently run a private social poker league which, in my interpretation of KY law is legal as I do not profit or advance other than in the capacity of a player. (see .010: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/528-00/CHAPTER.HTM) However, I do have cost for supplies and the such to run my games, in which I...

View more questions Search