Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Queen0804 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
    I need to deciding a major
    I been in college for 2 years now and I still don't know what to pursue in life. I would really to teach and I enjoy kids but I don't have the patience. I like fields that involve talking in front of people, children, helping people, advicing and just working with people. I took so many career test and they all tell me careers like counseling, elementary teacher, social service , etc. I am in not good or should I say I don't like math or science and most careers in involves in either one of those. I really feel like I am lost. Any suggestions...
    casper352 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Maybe you should try something like psychology or you could do like physical therapy.. you could help kids or adults, neither require strong knowledge in math or science. Also, I wouldn't stress about it too much, 2 years in college means you are somewhere around 20 and you have 80 years left to decide what you want to do.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 26, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Assuming you're in the USA, you can't do a lot in social work, counseling, or psychology without a Master's degree. That's another two years past college, and you do need undergrad statistics to get into most graduate programs plus one or more statistically-oriented courses (typically called something like research methods) while you're in the program. So if you go that route, be ready for two more years' school plus at least one or two more courses involving math & science.

There are plenty of careers out there that involve minimal math and science but put you in daily contact with people. If you're good at and interested in finances , credit counseling (that does involve some math but typically just basic grade school stuff); if you like travel, travel counseling. Real estate work comes to mind. Student advising at a local college or university is another possibility. If you're good at organizing things, there are folks who make a living as personal organizers. Wedding and other event planners also have a lot of daily people contact.

Basically, start by asking yourself what you really like to do and what you're good at (rather than focusing on what you don't like to do and aren't good at). Use that as a starting point for creating a career involving people. Have you worked with the career counselors at your school (beyond taking tests)? They might be able to help you brainstorm possibilities!

Vasily
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
    A Business degree with specialization in Human Resources is a useful degree. There is some math, but nothing too horrible.

Good Luck!
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Dec 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
    I just graduated from university in last summer! I think the point is that just find out what is your interest and what can fit your interest then make a decision which at least can make sure you can do better! When I was in senior high school,I have already known what would be my major once I began my university! I made decision and did good job with less time,and really enjoyed my school life!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 12:10 AM
    I vote for psychology. It will work in your favor no matter what you do with the rest of your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deciding if to euthenize [ 3 Answers ]

Do I take my cat back to the pound or go to the vet and have her euthenized properly (if this is proper)? We adopted our toothless calicol about six years ago, she was about eight at the time and they didn't know what happened to her teeth. Her mouth was fine and ate quite well when we brought her...

Trouble deciding about what I am going to be [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question for you girls... What worked best for you?. being a tomboy or a girly girl? I was asking this question because I am having trouble deciding what I am going to be. From, Sam the Man or Emily??

Help deciding [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time figuring out what software to use. Can someone please suggest a really good anti-virus software for PC please? Thank you

I need help in deciding what to do with my thoughts! [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 15, and I have major problems with depression and anxiety. Which have been going on as long as I can remember, mostly from being much taller then my friends and more matured, and from having dyslexia at an early age. And the depression went along with that. So far the psychiatrist has put...

Help on deciding [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well I want to get an apple but am unsure as to the disadvantages. I have read the entire discussion fourom but still have some questions. Is there a version of Photoshop for the Powerbook G5? Laso, downloading files from the internet. If I went to a site like www.download.com could I get any...

View more questions Search