Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SissyLu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 07:44 PM
    How to distinguish what is causing house odor
    I have been having a horrible smell in my house for about a month or more. At first it smelled like a dead animal. Now some of the same or like a gas leak ( which I don't have anything that runs on gas), also reminds me of day old collard greens. I smell it most when washing clothes or after taking showers. My bathroom and kitchen are side by side and the cabinets that line that wall release this odor when opened. My bathroom vanity also smells when opened. I have sniffed around the pipes in the tub and can smell it / in the wall. My husband has gone under the house and didn't see anything dead or any grey water in our sump pump. Please if anyone knows what this could be or how to deal until its gone.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
    It could possibly be methane gas that you are smelling? How long have you lived in the home? Do you live in a city or out in the countryside somewhere?

Nov 25, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I have lived in the house for 7 yrs. It is in the country
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Thank you for answering! Knowing that you live in the country will help people here in helping you to figure out what the problem is.

If you live out in the country, might I assume that you have well water. Correct? If you do have well water, then you might want to have a professional come out and check to see if it is okay. If you are drinking the water, you might want to consider stopping drinking it and buying bottled water for drinking until you have your water tested.

Also, there are links on the following link where there is information that you might want to read.

well water smell - Google Search

Nov 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
    The smell isn't under the kitchen sink just the cabinets that line the same wall as the bathroom/ I also don't smell it in the laundry room just in the bathroom and the same cabinets mentioned previously
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
    It's not Methane gas it is odorless, are you on a septic tank?

Nov 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Yes
    flyingpuppies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Don't know if it will help, but we have a seemily similarproblem: only during October to April do we get a strange odor in the house. Seems to be worse in dining room and master bedroom. Odor is coming out of cold air returns. Its not there everyday. But when it is, about half the time, its bad. We start opening our windows in cold weather to air out the odor. We have had the septic people out, a plumber, the natural gas provider, the furnace checked, no one can figure it out.
    We checked for empty drains, tried to relate it to washing clothes, dishes, showers, water softener recharging - and can't find a trend or a cause. It smells like sewage, but odor isn't in bathrooms. We have a septic tank and had it cleaned.
    LPNIAMRN2BEE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 01:42 PM
    Your septic tanks need to be checked for leaking...
    LPNIAMRN2BEE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LPNIAMRN2BEE View Post
    Your septic tanks need to be checked for leaking....
    Oh... wow... that was several years ago...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Under house odor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong odor coming from the crawl space (about 18" high) under the house. It is acrid and earthy; strong and unpleasant. We have tested air for mold-no unusual problem. Made a french drain about 20 years ago around half of the house, still dampness in that half, but not wet or standing...

Oil odor throughout house [ 1 Answers ]

Recently our furnace had back up problems-now repaired. Our home now smells terribly of oil resulting from the backup. No oil leak.

Odor in House---with updates! [ 3 Answers ]

All I read the string and notice I have a similar problem with a little twist: 1) Live in a 3 story townhouse no underground bottom floor--sits on foundation. Water heater and utilies in closet open to garage.. laundry room inside on bottom floor. 2) had a sewage/organic smell strongest...

Sewage Odor Throughout House [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I found this site by accident and am hopeful someone can give me advice. We are experiencing a sewage type odor throughout the house whenever water is turned on. I believe it happens when it is traveling through the pipes, hopefully not under my home. It ONLY happens when water is used....

View more questions Search