Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drummerboy28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
    401k money.
    How do I go about getting my 401k money back from my previous jobs?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
    When you say you want to get your 401(k) money "back," do you mean you want to roll it over to an IRA? This is really quite easy - decide where you want your rollover IRA to be (i.e. Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, etc), and then you can set up your rollover account on line, as long as you have an account statement from your old 401(k) plan. The IRA administrator will do all the paperwork to roll the money from your old 401(k) into your new account. Doing a direct rollowver like this avoids any tax consequences for you.

If, however, you mean you want to make a withdrawal, you will have to contact the administrator of the 401(k) directly. You should be able to find contact phone numbers either on one of your quarterly statements, or ask the HR department at your former employer. I'm sure you are aware that there may be significant tax consequences to taking a withdrawal if you are under 59-1/2 years of age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Borrowing money from my 401K [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about borrowing money from my 401K

Want my 401k money [ 4 Answers ]

I have found a vacation home that I would like to purchase.. I need 20% down.. I want to get the money out of my 401k plan.. not worried about the taxes and penalties.. just want the money... how can I get it. Thanks

57 yo- need 401k money [ 2 Answers ]

After 37 years with same company, the company closed. I was laid off. I'm 57 yo And I need money out of my 401 to help start new business (was in transportation and Am about to open another trucking/transportation company.) What is the best way to Access my 401k with the least amount of...

Need money from 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Need to take my money out of my 401k plan,what steps do I need to take.

Need money from my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I am only 31 and I want to cash out my simple 401k that I have now and am still with the same emloyer. I want it to pay off my debt. Is there anyway I can get that money? I don't care if I pay a penalty at this point. Do I...

View more questions Search