Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellowking40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2003, 09:45 PM
    English Bero Flour
    Hello
    I am living now in Florida and I do not seem to be able to bake with the four.
    Could you tell me where I could get Bero or English flour to make a Victoria sponge cake.
    I have tried to make them with American flour but they are not very good
    Thanks so much, any advice would be welcome
    Alice
    cher11 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2003, 03:32 AM
    English Bero Flour
    Hi Alice,

I'm an American, also living in Florida--Ft. Lauderdale area--I've never heard of Bero flour, but I do know that some cities have 'British shops' which carry items you're used to from 'home'. I tried to find this info online and arrived at a general site for 'Brits in Florida', which I thought you'd may find helpful. It includes information on many items/subjects:

http://sunnybrits.com/british/resources/

I know that sponge cake has to be very light, and did you buy 'all purpose flour' or 'self-raising(or rising) flour'?
    If you're using all purpose flour, you'd have to add 1 teaspoon of baking powder per 1 cup of flour. If you're using the self-raising, the baking powder is already incorporated, and that's why it would be recommended for a sponge cake. I would suggest that you look in your local yellow pages and see if you can find a British grocer or gourmet shop in the area. Even if they don't carry Bero, perhaps they know where you can get it, if the self-rising flour is not what you need for your sponge cake.

P.S. I don't know why this site won't allow use of the word 'tea spoon' (with no space), but it keeps coming up as 'teathingy' as you can see! Weird! Lol

Good luck!

Cher : )
    kellowking40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2003, 09:36 AM
    English Bero Flour
    Thank you Cher
    For your prompt reply, I will try all your useful suggestions.

I know its daft wanting to make English cakes I should try American recipes
    Kind Regards
    Alice
    Britwife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2003, 12:30 PM
    English Bero Flour
    My husband is from Yorkshire. We live in West Virginia. I have been looking for a Bero cookbook or a recipe for sausage rolls. Any help?
    kiki55 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2005, 12:13 PM
    Bero flour
    Quote Originally Posted by kellowking40
    Hello
    I am living now in Florida and I do not seem to be able to bake with the four.
    Could you tell me where I could get Bero or English flour to make a Victoria sponge cake.
    I have tried to make them with American flour but they are not very good
    Thanks so much, any advice would be welcome
    Alice
    I am english too and have just had disaster after disaster with the flour... Do you think it is complety different from ours... also my meringues are awful... and normally I am a good cook... I keep blaming the oven, however... it sounds like I am not alone..
    jennifer cummings Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Hello!
    I am also from the old country and the best I can do on Victoria sponge cake is to try to make it with "cake flour". One of the large companies puts this product out - could be Pilsbury. Good luck!
    Jenny
    jennifer cummings Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Hi,
    I also forgot to add that english teaspoons, tablespoons, etc are of a different measurement than american ones. If you are using an english cookbook you must use english measures, or adjust accordingly.
    Cheers
    Jenny
    kiki55 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 09:13 AM
    Cake disasters
    Hi there,
    Thank you so much for helping me in my quest for trying to bake a cake the english way.. I had no idea that teaspon and tablespoon measures where different in america... thank you again
    Chrissie
    JRudd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 11:26 AM
    You cannot use American or Canadian flour to make any English recipe - sucks but true.
    Lewoolcott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Wow, so informative. I, too, had no idea that English teaspoons and tablespoons differ from the American measures.
    QUESTION: If an English recipe calls for self-raising flour and I use American cake flour, shall I add 1t baking powder for each 1c of flour? Think I'll proceed and post results later unless I get an answer pronto.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plain Flour [ 3 Answers ]

In Australia, recipes either use plain flour or self raising flour. I wish to use an American recipe. May plain flour be used in place of 'all purpose flour'?

BeRo Recipe book [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am new to this, but this is my question - I am trying to get hold of a recipe - Ruff Puff pastry - from the BeRo Recipe book. Or I would like to get my own copy of the recipe book. Can anyone help?

Plain flour [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me how to use plain flour in self-rising flour recipes?

Bero recipe [ 14 Answers ]

I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower

Bero Cookbook [ 5 Answers ]

I have been making christmas cakes for years using the Bero cookbook recipe. I recently moved house and lost the book. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the book or the recipe

View more questions Search