Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Nov 24, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Carburetor ( spelling not to sure )
    How easy is it to either change or repair the carb on a tecumseh engine on a Murray snowblower?? just got the blower from someone and discovered tonight that it leaks like pretty badly. I have drained out the existing fuel and noticed there is a small spring on the underside of the carb that when I pressed on it the fuel ran freely.

Thank you

Rob
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
    It seems like it's a float type carb with a bowl. The spring is a giveaway.

What happens is gunk from the fuel or fuel tank, e.g. rust or stale fuel, holds the fuel valve open. You have to dissassemble the carb for cleaning. The float can also have a hole in it. If you don't get rid of the rust, the problem will instantly occur again. The other reason is storing it with fuel without a fuel additive like Stabil. Tecumseh isn't like briggs which posts diagrams on the web.

Rebuilding the carb is usually relatively painless. You might check www3.sears.com for a diagram. Since you didn't post a model #, I can't look. The rebuild kit probably isn't necessary.

Nov 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
    I had a look for a model number, none on the machine anywhere. It is a murray select 12hp, I got it wth no book. L also don't recall seeing a fuel cut off switch, none the wiser as to if there should be one for when I dissconect the carburetor. Have tried the murray wbsite for a model number but alas no joy
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 04:32 PM
    A fuel cut off solenoid (electric) is used on tractors.

Usually there should be a fuel line manual valve.

The fuel valve I'm talking about is internal to the carb. If it's a float type carb, then the float level opens the valve allowing fuel to flow into the bowl.

Tecumseh put their model numbers along the housing where the manual pull start is. Briggs stamped some numbers which are barely visible in the same housing.

Nov 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    A fuel cut off solenoid (electric) is used on tractors.

Usually there should be a fuel line manual valve.

The fuel valve I'm talking about is internal to the carb. If it's a float type carb, then the float level opens the valve allowing fuel to flow into the bowl.

Tecumseh put their model numbers along the housing where the manual pull start is. Briggs stamped some numbers which are barely visible in the same housing.

Thanks for your reply, I am well pleased with this site for as little as I have used it so far. I got the carb off today ( Sunday ) turns out 3 of my seals were gone ( broke) will see what the local store has to offer on parts.
    Once again thanks for your help KeepitSimpleStupid
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Well personally, I would try to buy equipment with a briggs, kohler, or kawasaki engine. But if you already have it off, you can purchase the entire rebuild kit in a package deal for usually $15 or less. Do you know how to remove the welch plugs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type carburetor do I have? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Model 170702 Type 1211-02 Code 7205241 What I need to know is what carburetor this engine has. I just want to see if I can get this engine running. It has Sat for quite a few years. It is on an old PennCraft riding mower.

How do I install a carburetor? [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi! I have a motorcycle and I am having problems with it. I need to know how to install a carburetor. I have a '86 Suzuki and I really need help with it. Thank you!:)

French Spelling [ 4 Answers ]

How do you spell the name jessica in french?

Spelling [ 33 Answers ]

Is the horrible spelling I see posted by a lot of the younger people a txt messaging short hand I must stumble though or just poor spelling skills?

View more questions Search