Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessie15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Can I be emancipated?
    I am 15 and pregnant. I am menially abused by my father. There has been physical abuse in the past. I am have a younger brother and a older sister. My mother and father do treat me a lot differently form them. My father is also a drunk. He is mean and abusive when he drinks. He was thrown things at me when he has been drinking and said some really hurtful things to me. My boyfriend the child's father is in a juvenile home. We are still dating. He plans to do the best he can to take care of this child when he gets out. I am able to take care of myself and already basically do everything on my own. I am living with my grandmother part time. I am never really at home. I am to afraid of my father to go home. My mother does really do much to help me because she is afraid of what my father will say and do. I have a job opened up for me in January when I get past my 4th trimester. I have a lot of people that will be helping helping me with this child when it is born such as the baby father's, his family, my family, and friend's parents. These people are all willing to help the best way they can so I can finish school. I feel as if I can't finish school or be able to raise my child the way I would like for it to be raised as long as I stay in my home. I would like to live with a friend who's father is willing to take me in or my boyfriends mother. Do you thank I could get emancipated if I went to court and tried. The bad part is my parents would lie and make it seem as if I am lying there do that to each other and my social worker. I don't want my parents out of my life completely I just can not live with them and raise my child and go to school.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
    In some states, not sure about all, in Oregon, I know. You are legally emancipated by default once you as a minor, have a child.

You may want to look into this, and perhaps talk to your school counselor, assuming that you are still in school.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
    The judge will ask you.

1. how are you going to support yourself and a baby
    2. where are you going to live
    3. how will you do the above and continue your education.

If you are abused liviing at home is not right either but is there another family member you could live with
    Vision Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
    And he will ask you to PROVE these things. You have to have a bank account with a certain amount of money in it. I tried getting emancipated when I was your age cause "I hated my parents". I almost did it too... Then I realized three more years until I'm gone. How old is the father? And why is he locked up?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 05:39 PM
    What will be your source of income? The Judge will want to know that. Also, in most states, you have to be 16 before the courts will consider emancipation. Some states allow the age of 14. Do you know if your state even has emancipation laws? Some do not. You can contact the clerk of the family or domestic issues court in the county in which you live to obtain information concerning the matter.

One thing you might consider, since you are pregnant - apply for Temporary Family Assistance from your county's Social Services. You may be required to live with an appropriate relative, such as a Grandparent or Aunt. If the adult you go to live with is not a relative, then it gets a bit tricky. That adult would need to be your legal guardian or at least in the process of becoming your legal guardian. Any assistance you would get would come in the name of the adult.

Read through some of the information out there on emancipation and contact an attorney. Call your local Legal Assistance - they provide services on a sliding scale fee.
    http://www.publiccounsel.org/publica...mancipated.pdf
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie15
    I am 15 and pregnant. I am menially abused by my father. There has been physical abuse in the past. I am have a younger brother and a older sister. My mother and father do treat me alot differently form them. My father is also a drunk. He is mean and abusive when he drinks. He was thrown things at me when he has been drinking and said some really hurtful things to me. My boyfriend the child's father is in a juvenile home. We are still dating. He plans to do the best he can to take care of this child when he gets out. I am able to take care of myself and already basically do everything on my own. I am living with my grandmother part time. I am never really at home. I am to afraid of my father to go home. My mother does really do much to help me because she is afraid of what my father will say and do. I have a job opened up for me in january when I get past my 4th trimester. I have alot of people that will be helping helping me with this child when it is born such as the baby father's, his family, my family, and friend's parents. These people are all willing to help the best way they can so I can finish school. I feel as if I can't finish school or be able to raise my child the way I would like for it to be raised as long as I stay in my home. I would like to live with a friend who's father is willing to take me in or my boyfriends mother. Do you thank I could get emancipated if I went to court and tried. The bad part is my parents would lie and make it seem as if i am lying there do that to eachother and my social worker. I don't want my parents out of my life completely I just can not live with them and raise my child and go to school.
    If your parents are physically abusive they should be reported to the Police. (There are 3 trimesters in a pregnancy, not 4.)

Have you tried talking to a school or prenatal counsellor about your situation? They have all the appropriate sources at their fingertips.
    Vision Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 04:11 PM
    I agree with the above person, and the problem with children having children is that the lack the education and knowledge really need to have and raise a child. Nothing against you Jessie, but it's true. This is the reason that she said 4th trimester... if you were in your fourth trimester you'd be 10 or 11 months pregnant... That's not good...

As for the problem, go to a family court and get all the information that you can.

You also need to be taking parenting classes, are you? And do the offer parenting classes where the father is locked up? If so, he needs to be taking them too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipated [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is Brittany.I'm 16yrs old and about to have a baby. I'm writing to ask how do I get emancipated. I've heard that as long as I have a job, a place to stay, show that I can take care of myself without my parents, and have a good reason why I want to get emancipated than I can. I have a...

I want to get emancipated [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting emancipated in menlo park California I'm not sure on how to do it I am 15 about to be 16 in January I have a job and good grades if someone can help me I would greatly appriciate that.

How to have my son emancipated? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know the steps to take to have my child emancipated? I live in Florida and my so is 15 he is in a lot of trouble with the law and he doesn't want to live with me or his father any longer he says he would rather be in jail. So the only thing I can think to do is have him emancipated. He...

Can I get emancipated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking intoi emancipation for a while now but it seems as if other people have more complicated story's than I do and they could not succeed. I am 16 years of age and me and my parents have not gotten along in months. My mom was a single parent for most of my life, until my step dad...

16 going on 17 want to be emancipated for many reasons. [ 4 Answers ]

I am 16 going to be 17 in a couple months I live in a small little town in Indiana and I don't know what to do... my father is going into debt he is going to lose his house and everything he has... and my mom also is going through the same thing... neither one of them have the money to really...

View more questions Search