Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC2BeAgain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Rough-in Clarification
    I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the [exterior] wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is the outside spigot. The wall behind the toilet area is an interior wall backing to stairwell.)

The problem/questions: I don't see any water lines for either the toilet or sink. Would it be normal for the builder to have run the water lines without tapping them? Would they be behind the drywall? Is the only way to know to start cutting holes in the walls? If it's not there, what must happen?

I'm having vinyl flooring installed in that room and the adjoining foyer today. I'm really, really hoping that I wouldn't have to cut into that concrete floor for anything.

My boyfriend has his own ideas of how to do this... but, I'd like to know what an expert thinks before I pursue finishing this bathroom.

Thanks!
    Katherine
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Hi Katherine,

First off, I can see no reason that you should have to tear up the cement floor for any reason since the drainage's already roughed in.

The water pipes are another story. To check this out I would make a small opening in the stairwell wall behind the toilet stubup. Since the water roughs in at 6" left of center of the stubup and 5" up from the floor, make your hole 6" RIGHT of center and look for a 1/2" water pipe coming out of the cement.
    If the water hasn't been roughed in you will have to cut into the hose bib supply and take the cold water off that. You have a choice of opening up the walls and concealing the pipes or leaving them exposed and painting them to match the décor. You haven't mentioned a vent. You do realize that you will have to vent the group through the roof off the lavatory don't you? When you get to the vent part get back to me and if local code allows we'll talk about a "cheater vent" that will save you the hassle of running a pipe all the way out the roof. Nowyou can tell me what your boyfriend had in mind. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DWV rough-in [ 5 Answers ]

I'm starting a long delayed home construction in a rural area with no plumbing codes in force. I plan on laying out the under slab DWV lines. Below in my amatuerish plan which I'm sure has glaring red flag issues that I need to adjust. Can you offer some input ? The main waste line run is about 40...

Rough feet... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My feets are getting roughs specially heels can anybody tell me any remdy for this or any type of medicine for this broken heels... thanx a lot

Please help me get over this rough period [ 74 Answers ]

So the other day my girlfriend told me she needed her space. We got together when she was 18 and I was 23. Now, at the time, I had already gone through a couple of serious relationships, as well as that whole peroid of my life where I went out and had fun while I was single. Since my girlfriend is...

Rough in under slab [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Tom, I am currently renovating my mother’s bathroom; it was very out of date. Here’s my problem, she lives on a slab. I was hoping you might be able to tell me if my changes in the plumbing will work. I have attached two pictures, one of the old plan and one of the proposed plan, I have tried...

Slab Rough-In [ 29 Answers ]

I am embarking a project to remodel a half bath to a full bath on the ground floor of a high ranch. (on slab). After getting a couple estimates on the rough-in plumbing, and seeing that they were more than anticipated, I think I am going to give it a shot. I do most everything….framing, drywall,...

View more questions Search