Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LoverGirltoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Collection Letter but not on my credit report.
    I am located in Illinois. I received a collection letter from a collection attorney.

I am not sure if the debt specified is mine or not. It says it was from one Creditor, and then bought by another. I pulled a copy of my credit report, and do not see either creditor listed or the amount specified in the letter on my credit report. I do have two other creditors I am behind with, one I am making partial payments to, and the other I haven't heard from since January.

I am married, and unemployed. Only my name was on the credit cards I am in arears on. My husband is the bread maker in the family.

How should I respond to this letter? I want to send something in writing, and mention that I pulled my credit report and do not see this creditor on the report. Does the fact that its not on my credit report have any bearing at all to their claim? I've read about asking for validation of the debt. How would I go about wording that?

Thanks for any input
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
    The last thing you do is agree or even suggust you owe them money.

You write them informing them you have no knowledge of this debt, you respond within the time frame required and demand that they provide proof of this debt.

No, not being on your credit report means nothing, companies are not required to report things to the credit bureus and some report to one, nad not the others, while the others will get it latter, it does take a while, and you will find, as I run all three of my, there will be things on one, that never show up o aonther. Or one gets ti wrong for some reason.

If you don't know who this is, just respond that you don't know anything about this debt and for them to provide proof of that debt. There is a more formal wording on the stickies on the top part of this section, but then just asking for proof in your own words is all that is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection letter regarding an unknown TEN YEAR OLD DEBT! [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has received a letter from a collections agency which states that he owes nearly $700, which they are attempting to collect. The letter has the last 4 numbers of his SSN and lists another person as a co-debtor. I contacted the business regarding this claim and was immediately told to...

I have received a letter from attorneys office for debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how long will it be before I reach a summons. I also live in the state of ca and will they have to sue me in California because I reside here? Also how long will it take for them to serve me a summons?

Collection Agency on Credit Report. I paid Pride Co. [ 1 Answers ]

Months ago I owed my garbage company (Pride Disposal) $140. I was getting calls from a collection company about it. Because I wanted my garbage service ASAP I paid Pride $140.. Still the Collection Agency called. I called Pride and asked them to call the Agency and tell them this bill had been...

Collection agency sent check back with letter [ 5 Answers ]

I received a notice from a collection agency around the 3rd week of Feb. 2007. It stated that they are attempting to collect a debt. They stated who it was for and the amount it was for. I did realize that I owed this. On March 2nd I sent them a check for $100 along with a letter saying that I...

Statute barred collection agency.. Draft letter [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Canada Bonded Credit Limited recently some how got hold of me. They are trying to collect on a debt which came into effect on Jun22, 2004. According to the Ontario Statute of Limitation, they can no longer collect on this. I wanted to send them a letter to "validate" the debt. Can anyone...

View more questions Search