Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2005, 01:32 AM
    Can't change my ip address.. Help...
    Help me please cause I can't change my ip address...

When I try to ipconfig /renew from ms-dos,

"An error occured while renewign interface Local Area Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Why?.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2005, 02:28 AM
    Do you have a network cable connected to your network card?
    Are you on a local area network?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 1, 2005, 07:23 AM
    To add to Need's questions...
    Do you have a DHCP server running if not you will only be able to set a staic IP address.

From a previous question of yours, you are running on Dial up so I very much doubt that you have a DHCP server.
    You will need to assign a static IP address to the network card.
    The ipconfig commands of release and renew won't work for you.
    Sorry

Dec 1, 2005, 06:47 PM
    Network cable do you mean the cable connecting modem and PC?
    I don't know the network card what's it look like, I don't know cause I'm not the one who set-up this PC sorry hope you can still help me...

And how do I know I have DHCP running I'm really confused...
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 2, 2005, 07:28 AM
    As you are using a modem for your internet, I'll just assume you don't have a network card. Don't worry about the IP address of your computer, that will probably change every time you connect to the internet and you cannot set it yourself anyway.

As long as you can connect to the internet through this modem you're set - or is there another problem?

Dec 4, 2005, 07:20 PM
    My real reason why I want to change my ip address cause my guess is I have these pop-ups because they know my ip address, therefore if I change my ip I wouldn't have these pest in my PC... am I right?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 5, 2005, 01:48 AM
    Do you have a firewall, antivirus, popup stopper and scan for adware etc? This combination of tools/utilities should minimise your popup problems.

Dec 6, 2005, 12:26 AM
    Yes I do have antivirus but don't know what's the best pop-up stopper should I use... cause I had used so many type of them but seem not to work... but what I'm using now is good I guess but not in an instant must use it several time to remove the whole source of pop-up but I'm not the only one using this PC and I think they let the pop-up enter again after I remove it... reason I'm looking for a fastest way to get rid of these pest... and the thing comes in my mind is to change my ip add... :D...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IP Address Change of 9iAS machine [ 2 Answers ]

We have changes IP address of our machine where Oracle 9iAS version 1 is installed with Apache Webserver. After the change, the AS has stopped connecting to the database. Can we do something without reinstalling the AS.

Ip address [ 6 Answers ]

How will I know the ip address of a computer.. Any answer will be appreciated.. Tnx..

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

Ip address [ 2 Answers ]

I have two routers one behind the other. Yes I said two routers, one is a wired and the other is wireless I had to make some changes and now I can not get the wireless router to issue any ip address to the systems on it. The address that are given out is the ones that are default for the system in...

View more questions Search