Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nesbit MS Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 07:12 AM
    20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode
    20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime

UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not working. Can I turn it on A/C to defrost quickly? How about turning it off via inside thermostat?

Thanks for your time.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
    In cold weather it is not smart to run the A/C.
    You need to replace the defrost cycle control.

Nov 24, 2007, 09:07 PM
    hvac1000 - Thank you for your answer. This helps me decide that we will call the local repair man to come and fix it. We had a little trouble with the A/C this summer and, as luck would have it, the company we called was the one who installed the original unit 20 years ago! The man who owns the company came out and told me about when he put it in.

Nov 29, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesbit MS
    20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at nite, 40's daytime

UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not working. Can I turn it on A/C to defrost quickly? How about turning it off via inside thermostat?

Thanks for your time.
    Broken sensor wire, repairman says. Replaced it. Works now. Maybe this will help someone...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
    I am glad it was only the sensor for the defrost cycle control and not the entire control. That would have been more expensive.
    patrick5150 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesbit MS
    20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at nite, 40's daytime

Thanks for your time.
    You would be doing that all the time but you would have to shut off the OD fan every time you wanted to defrost the OD coil. On most heatpump defrost boards you can manually test. But on yours you have a timer. There is a little window to see if gears are turning if not replace but you can also manually turn knob it should go into defrost. Let me know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan runs forever when in heat mode but not in ac mode [ 2 Answers ]

Great web site and concept!! I have a York forced air gas furnace that has a Honeywell Fan Limit switch. The unit works great in the summer. The ac and the fan shut off correctly. However, in the winter the heat will reach its temp setting and turn off but the blower continues forever. I have...

Heat pump stuck in heat mode [ 4 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that seems to be stuck in heat mode. When you try to turn the a/c on it runs heat. I got the a/c to run by cycling the power a couple of times but after having to use the heat again, it is stuck again. Could this be an electrical problem or is it probably the reversing valve?

Lennox heat pump makes noise, slow condenser fan [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox, 20r-48 heat pump ac, roof mount in Phoenix, AZ outside temp 30-65 deg f. My heat pump makes a howl noise from the condenser fan and the fan speed is slow. Condenser coils frost outside but I haven't looked at the coils this time of the year in the past due to no need, (good performance and...

Lennox Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. I have measured 220VAC to the bottom of the compressor contactor. However, when I turn the thermostat to cool the blower fan comes on but the outside compressor is not energized. I can manually engage the contactor and the compressor and cooling fan come on. I can't...

View more questions Search