Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joey1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Disorderly Conduct Background Check
    I have received an offer from a consulting firm right out of undergrad. I'm a little worried about an upcoming background check in ILLINOIS.

About 10 months ago, I was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. At the pre-trial, I was given Supervision after pleading guilty, and after 3 months of lawful behavior the charges were dismissed. It is my understanding that Supervision does not constitute a conviction, despite the guilty plea. Also, my public defender mentioned something to the effect that Disorderly Conduct is treated as a traffic violation in Illinois (but I can't find anything to back that up).

The background check will be performed by a 3rd party. I'm wondering 2 things:
    1. Will an arrest (without conviction) show up on my record? And
    2. Is this serious enough to keep me from getting hired?

I've read from a lot of sources that it's best to "come clean" and never lie, but my application asks no questions about arrest or conviction records, and I feel like it would be pointless to bring it up if they'll never know or care. If anyone could answer this question it'd be a great help; I've been worrying a lot about it. Thanks so much.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Hello joey:

I think you should "come clean" too, but that doesn't mean you tell EVERYTHING.

There is no such thing as a background check. There's GOOD background checks, and there's BAD background checks. Even with a GOOD background check, I seriously doubt the arrest will show, because they can filter for just convictions if they choose.

I wouldn't have any idea what requirements an employer might have. If it's any consolation, I'd hire you.

excon
    joey1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
    excon,

Thanks for the quick response. I agree with what you said... Actually, I've been notified of the company that will be performing the background check, and on their website it seems to me that they only check for CONVICTIONS, not arrests (though I'm not 100% sure).

I've gotten the sense that, as you said, most checks do not include arrests anyway. The uncertainty is getting to me but I feel it should be okay. Thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I will note, that unless the case was dismissed because of the way it was handled, pleading guilty is a conviction, it merely means they did not have to prove the case. If this was done as part of a pretrial diversion, then it works as a suspended sentence which is dismissed after you do certain things.

I will also say of all the states I have ever dealt with Illinois is the worst about the DA lying. I have seen DA's in Illinois even create evidence at times against people. ( Vandaila IL area) I have such a mistrust for IL that when I travel to MO I actually drive further out of my way as not to have to even drive though their state.

Now with that said, you should be safe, if that was the agreement and it worked the way it was suppose to

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disorderly Conduct, ACD and Background Checks [ 7 Answers ]

Question: In 8/2003 I was charged with disorderly conduct in NY for mouthing off to a police officer (this is a violation and not a misdemeanor in NY). The judge basically laughed at my case and gave me an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal - 6 months of no trouble and the charges are...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

Disorderly conduct, how will it affect me? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a disorderly conduct charge on my record. I am beginning to look for a job ( I am just finishing school) and I am really nervous about how this will affect my job search. When someone looks at my record, what do they see? I am sure that it is more extensive then just saying 'disorderly...

Disorderly conduct for employment app [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I'm applying for a new job(a county job)in my area the app is going to ask have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor? I have a disorderly conduct charge from about 10 years ago at least of course I would have to mention this(I'm in pennsylvania)will this affect my chances of...

Haunted by a Disorderly Conduct [ 2 Answers ]

Will a Disorderly Conduct (Violation) sealed by the court prevent me from working for specifically for a bank? Or any other types of employment? Also, will my fingerprints show up (the bank is requiring that I submit them) - they were confirmed by the city/county that they were destroyed &...

View more questions Search