Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SilliMommi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Can I change daughter's last name?
    We are Texas residents and I would like to change my daughter's last name to include my last name in addition to her father's. It may seem like small beans, but I want her to have my last name (and her grandparent's) too. It does state in the custody agreement that "using, or permitting the use, as the child's last name, anything other than the child's legal name" is evidence of bad faith. I could understand if I was trying to use another man's last name, but is it that big of a deal to just add my last name to her's? Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know I have to notify him if I did want to officially change it, but what could I do if he contested?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 08:16 AM
    It would be easier if he consented, then you could just have him sign the paperwork and get the child last name hyphenated.

But if you don't think he will, or if he doesn't, you can petition it in court.

I don't see you having much of a problem. Most judges will allow a hyphenated last name easier than changing it altogether.

I would run it by the father first just to see if he will agree because things would be easier. But if not, petition for it... there shouldn't be much of a problem :)
    nniki Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilliMommi
    We are Texas residents and I would like to change my daughter's last name to include my last name in addition to her father's. It may seem like small beans, but I want her to have my last name (and her grandparent's) too. It does state in the custody agreement that "using, or permitting the use, as the child's last name, anything other than the child's legal name" is evidence of bad faith. I could understand if I was trying to use another man's last name, but is it that big of a deal to just add my last name to her's? Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know I have to notify him if I did want to officially change it, but what could I do if he contested?
    I really don't know about Texas laws, but I legally changed my sons last name from his biological father to the man my son knows as his father and all I had to do was have the biological father sign a legal form and turn it in to the courts and stand in front of a judge and he granted it and my son now has that has his name, if his biological father didn't sign the paper I would have not been able to change name
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 01:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    I don't see you having much of a problem.
    Most judges will want to see that the other parent consents... or it is in the best interest of the child his/her name to be changed... or this changing will not destroy parent-child relationships.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    Most judges will want to see that the other parent consents...or it is in the best interest of the child his/her name to be changed...or this changing will not destroy parent-child relationships.
    Yes... but simply hyphenating the name, and still keeping the fathers as well shouldn't be much of a problem.

I do agree though, if the mother were trying to change the last name completely and take away the fathers last name, then yes there may be a few things that would need to be considered by the judge. But the OP here is not doing that, and is not trying to add a husbands last name or anything. She is leaving the bip fathers last name, and wanting to hyphenate it with her own.

I really doubt she will run into much problem with the courts.
    SilliMommi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change my daughter's name? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! I have a problem! My daughter is approaching 6, and I am registering her for Kindergarten this year. When I had her I gave her my maiden name. Her father was non-existant and has dissappeared. She has not seen him, nor have I, for over 5 years. I do not know where he is, nor do I care...

Daughter's Eating [ 3 Answers ]

Last July, 2006, my then 8 year old daughter suddenly changed her eating habits. She cut out junk food totally and became obsessed with reading the labels on all the foods she ate. She has lost 7 lbs. which she didn't need to lose. She plays Travel Soccer and Basketball 4 days a week. She get...

My daughter's boyfriend [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant and her boyfriend, the father of her baby is controlling verbaly abusive. They broke up last night and I'm glad. Will they get back together? Will he be at the birth? Will she give the baby his last name? Will he go away out of her and the baby's life forever? I hope!

View more questions Search