Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Complicated case
    Hello everyone!
    A child was born in marriage but the husband was not the father.The bio-father appeared and disestablished husband's presumption under UPA in Court.After that the bio-father decided he did not like to pay court ordered recoupment and damages to the husband because he did not have enough money for it.The mother also wanted her husband as a legal father of her child.The question is:May the bio-father and the mother to appeal this court decision in higher court without an agreement of the husband?
    The case is not real but I appreciate every opinion.
    Thank you in advance.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 10:01 AM
    I am attempting to understand the facts as presented. The bio-father filed a petition to determine paternity and 'won', after which he was ordered to compensate the husband of the mother (the presumptive father), and most likely ordered to pay child support. Since he was the plaintiff and 'won', and obtained the relief he requested, he most likely lacks standing to appeal. Also, I do not believe the husband had to be a party to the paternity action. Finally, I don't believe there would be an appeal from the bio-father's liability, but he may have grounds to appeal the amount of damages and/or child support.
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    I am attempting to understand the facts as presented. The bio-father filed a petition to determine paternity and 'won', after which he was ordered to compensate the husband of the mother (the presumptive father), and most likely ordered to pay child support. Since he was the plaintiff and 'won', and obtained the relief he requested, he most likely lacks standing to appeal. Also, I do not believe the husband had to be a party to the paternity action. Finally, I don't believe there would be an appeal from the bio-father's liability, but he may have grounds to appeal the amount of damages and/or child support.
    Thank you,George 1950!
    According to the law the husband has to be a party to the paternity action because there are two presumptions there. I agree that "the winner" cannot pursue an appeal there.
    I was interested in whether someone knew about "Best interest of the child" in such cases.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    Thank you,George 1950!
    According to the law the husband has to be a party to the paternity action because there are two presumptions there. I agree that "the winner" cannot pursue an appeal there.
    I was interested in whether someone knew about "Best interest of the child" in such cases.
    Yes, I understand there are two presumptions and the husband should be a party because he is the presumptive father; how modern of me to think otherwise!
    I don't see the 'best interest of the child' coming into consideration with respect to custody because that is a matter of scientific evidence, rather that behavior patterns.
    I mis-spoke in the last sentence; where I wrote "custody", should be "paternity". So that the last sentence says, "I don't see the 'best interest of the child' coming into consideration with respect to paternity because that is a matter of scientific evidence, rather that behavior patterns."
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Yes, I understand there are two presumptions and the husband should be a party because he is the presumptive father; how modern of me to think otherwise!
    I don't see the 'best interest of the child' coming into consideration with respect to custody because that is a matter of scientific evidence, rather that behavior patterns.
    A case from California:
    In re Kiana A. (2001) , Cal.App.4th
    In juvenile dependency proceedings, Mario A. and Kevin W. each petitioned the juvenile court to be declared the presumptive father of Kiana A...
    DISCUSSION-The Uniform Parentage Act.
    a. The conclusive presumption of section 7540.
    b. Rebuttable presumptions of section 7611.
    Although more than one individual may fulfill the criteria that give rise to a presumption of paternity, there can be only one presumed father. (Brian C. v. Ginger K. (2000) 77 Cal.App.4th 1198, 1223.)
    Where the evidence shows that more than one man qualifies as a presumptive father, section 7612, subdivision (b), directs the trial court to weigh the competing presumptions. It states: "If two or more presumptions arise under Section 7611 which conflict with each other, the presumption which on the facts is founded on the weightier considerations of policy and logic controls." (§ 7612, subd. (b).)
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 11:46 AM
    More than 30 states have similar to this case provisions.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 03:14 PM
    But paternity should depend upon scientific evidence, should it not? The DNA test doesn't lie, does it?
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Maybe... but DNA does not make a dad.
    I may divide those by paternity and parentage. I am impressed by a case posted on the board.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
    In a lot of states so long as the pregnancy began during the marriage then the presumed father is the husband. It makes sense that its like that and one of the few laws that at least you can understand why it goes down that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is life so complicated [ 10 Answers ]

Why is life so complicated why does everything need to be so messy like why can't life be simple why do people need to like do what they want even if it would hurt someone why do people say things they don't really mean but still say them or if they do mean them why do they need to say it.is life...

Complicated problem [ 2 Answers ]

The Gross earnings of the factory workers for Darlinda Company during the month of January are $80,000. The employer's payroll taxes for the factory payroll are $8,000. The fringe benefits to be paid by the employer on this payroll are $4,000. Of the total accumulated cost of factory labor, 85% is...

Another complicated question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am from India. I am on F1 visa since 2001. I got married in June 2004. My wife didn't work in 2004. In August 2005, she joined the same school. She is on assistnatship. For 2004 tax forms, I claimed her as dependent. My question is that can I claim her as dependent since she was dependent...

Complicated situation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a friend of mine who was here on h1B visa before 3 yrs due to slow down in computer field he was not employed and did not pay any taxes, He is now working and his employer is going to pay all the taxes,Is this going to be problem for him since no tax was reported to IRS before....

View more questions Search