Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicolieolie5990 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 01:59 PM
    My major
    What classes would I have to take in order to major in forensic investigation ? Any one know...
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Your school should give a book or pamphlet listing all requirements, and there will obviously be classes relating just to your future career, but you will also have to take classes like math and English to qualify for any degree. Have you talked to a counselor or administration office person at your school?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 02:19 PM
    It really depends on what area of forensics you are wanting to go into. I assume you are talking medical forensics.

Yes, you will need your maths, you biologies, anatomy & physiology, englishes, most likely microbiology...

As Charlotte said, check with the Admissions Department of the school you are wanting to attend.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
    It kind of depends on what kind of forensic investigator you want to be. There are forensics that involve the criminal mind and figuring out how and why a crime was committed. There are forensics that figure out if an old bone is animal or human and when death occurred and how it occurred. There are forensic careers that involve being a medical examiner who performs autopsies and determines cause of death.

Certainly psychology and sociology and anthropology and even geology would be required. Medical courses such as anatomy and physiology, microbiology, human disease, etc. would be part of certain forensic programs. There might be administration, public health, and even comparative religion classes. As shown in the movie "Silence of the Lambs," entomology (study of insects) -- the life cycles and breeding habits, etc. -- would be good to know about. Being able to write and speak well, being logical and persuasive, being organized are all important too.

In other words, get an excellent background in all sorts of disciplines, and then, as you fine-tune exactly what kind of forensic investigator you want to be, narrow the coursework into a specific program.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 23, 2007, 04:00 PM
    You don't really have to major in forensics, you need a good background in sciences if you're going into forensic science. The AAFS's focus is on forensic science & law, and their web site has the information you need:

AAFS

And this is the forum for high school students (not sure where you're at in your education):

Copyright © 1999 Young Forensic Scientists Forum / American Academy of Forensic Sciences

Vasily
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
    I took an entomology class last semester and apparently there's a whole class on forensic entomology... depending on your college they might have forensic science as a degree or criminal justice or something like that... I agree with J_9... make an appointment with an academic advisor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need Major Help [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Last yr my 10 yr old daughter went to live with her father, we agreed if she wanted to come back home she could. We went to court and made it to where he had physical cutody, but judge left me with lega custody. I was to have visitation every other weekend Well I got it about 3 times.. the...

Should I Do a Double Major? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been going to school for awhile and I had a really hard time making up my mind about what I wanted to do. I finally decided to get my degree in Interior Design and I really like it a lot, but I still feel like there are more things that I want to learn and do. It would only take me another...

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

View more questions Search