Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoss2051 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Renters Right
    I live in upstate NY - near Albany. I rent a house with my wife and three kids. I was served a copy of notice of foreclosure against my landlord on this property (no payments since July 07).

What are my rights? Am I going to be kicked on the street during the winter now?

My lease expired in August and I am currently month to month (even though I verbally requested a renewal and it hasn't happened). The owners are very laid back on everything and I should've seen this coming... and now I'm scared for my family.

Thank you to anyone for your help or suggestions.

Dan
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 04:24 AM
    Hello Hoss:

Unfortuately, you're going to have to move. Even with a lease, you'd have to move. At least you have notice. Some people here don't even get that.

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 23, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Send notice to your landlord with a letter from you that if you are not provided evidence that the foreclosure has been ABATED, you will withhold rent and relocate. Start looking for another home ASAP and don't expect your deposit back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2007, 06:34 AM
    You can't legally withhold rent. As long as the landlord is the legal owner of the property, you have to pay rent to them. By withholding rent you just make it more likely that the foreclosure will go through.

You don't say what notice of foreclosure says. Is it the first step in filing or has the house been foreclosed on? You really need to understand where the house stands.

But the legality is that, once foreclosure is finalized you have no rights anymore. You have to vacate. Since you are on a month to month basis, then you should start looking immediately. As soon as you find a place you can give your landlords 30 days notice.

If the foreclosure goes through, you may be served with a vacate notice that gives you little time. However, the new owners cannot evict you without a court proceeding. So you can stall for some time to find a new place.

The possibility exists that the new owners might be willing to keep you on as a tenant in which case you can sign a new lease. Another possibility, if the foreclosure hasn't gone through is offering to buy the house from the landlords.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 07:06 AM
    While I may not want to pay rent either, legally you can be held liable for the rent as long as you are living in the property. So from a legal standpoint, you can't withhold rent, and they can report you and sue you for rent plus late chages if you don't pay.

Also as noted if you had a lease it would not help, forecloseure ends the lease also, so that will not help.
    Once the foreclosure happens, you have no legal standing or right to be in the home, and some notices to move is as short as 3 days after foreclosure.
    So your best bet is to move NOW.
    Hoss2051 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 07:25 AM
    It looks like the beginning of the proceedings. It gives them 20 days to respond to the summons by serving a copy of the answer on the attorney for the mortgage company who filed the foreclosure proceeding. Anl let me clarify that we do pay the rent on time and never have nor intend to withhold.

My wife is going to call this attorney just to get the low down on what's going on. I'm also in law enforcement, so if I have to, I can inquire other avenues of what their situation is.

Worst part is that the landlords have not even brought it to our attention. I wonder if they even know that we know? Of course - yesterday was a holiday - so I'm sure the next day or so will prove interesting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2007, 06:08 PM
    The landlords have no obligation to inform you. Also the attorney may not be able to give you details. But if they are in the first stages, then its possible the landlords will come up with the arrears. So you really can't withhold rent.

But if they are in a real bad situation your offer to buy the house might be a win-win situation. You can get the house cheaply, maybe for little more than the mortgage balance. They get out from under without a foreclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters 30 days [ 3 Answers ]

I gave my landlord a 30 day notice but I am not for sure if I have to wait to move out at the end of the 30 days or if I can go ahead move out before the 30 days are up are you a loud to do this or do you have to stay the whole time??

Renters Rights [ 4 Answers ]

What is the legal amount of money that a landlord/manager can ask from a new tenant when signing a lease? For example, is it 1st and last months rent? 1st months rent plus another amount of money for a security deposit? Thanks.

Renters rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am Tizzy from Missouri, what can I do if my landlord has sold my place right after I moved in and the soon to be new owner called me today and said I have until Friday to get out?

Are we renters? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister-in-law owns the house we live in. We pay all taxes and insurance on the house as well as all normal maintence costs. We are responsible for keeping up the place. On long term expenses, we pay 50% - example, for reroofing we paid 1/2 of the cost of $3000. The question arose as to our...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

View more questions Search