Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singing_cs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Nov 22, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Extremely Oily Skin
    Hey, I'm a 21 year old female with an extremely oily face. I use MAC makeup (blot powder and studio fix) to tone down the shine but I find that I'm still oily. I bought the blot sheets from clean and clear and I have to use like 3 sheets a day when I'm at work because my skin is just so oily.

I find it to be unattractive because I have to contantly use tissue, blot sheets, and apply more powder to tone down the shine. I currently use Cetaphil cleanser as recommended by my dermatologist but I find that I still have some pimples on my face due to the oily skin.

Please help me find a product or remedy that will tone down on my oily skin without having to use so much makeup because it's causing my skin to breakout.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 23, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Oily skin is caused by over-active glands. It's also caused by hormonal imbalance, heredity, weather conditions, diet, pregnancy, comedogenic products or incorrect cleansing. You should always use "non-comedogenic" or "oil-free" products and cosmetics on oily skin. So use a cleanser designed for oily skin and then follow up with a toner, which helps remove excess oils. There are over-the-counter brands such as Neutrogena or Clearasil that may help control oily skin problems. If your skin feels tight from using these products, opt for an oil-free moisturizer. It will soften your skin and won't clog your pores.
    jnissa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 12:46 AM
    I have extremely oily skin too and most of my friends do - we've each found different solutions. For me, actually, my skin became a thousand percent better immediately when I found the right hormonal birth control (Yasmine). Literally, my skin was so oily that I would occasionally break out so badly that I couldn't even open my mouth. I also use Proactive, which will make your breaking out worse before it gets better, but does help. But for me, at least, the real difference in my skin came when I found something that balanced my hormones out.

I have a friend who uses the regimen at acne.org and claims it's perfect. I haven't tried it myself yet.
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Nov 23, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Have you tried clinique? Their 3 step system is awesome. I'd say you're a skin type 3 or 4, or oily. You should check it out. It is good stuff!

Nov 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    Oily skin is caused by over-active glands. It's also caused by hormonal imbalance, heredity, weather conditions, diet, pregnancy, comedogenic products or incorrect cleansing. You should always use "non-comedogenic" or "oil-free" products and cosmetics on oily skin. So use a cleanser designed for oily skin and then follow up with a toner, which helps remove excess oils. There are over-the-counter brands such as Neutrogena or Clearasil that may help control oily skin problems. If your skin feels tight from using these products, opt for an oil-free moisturizer. It will soften your skin and won't clog your pores.
    Thank you Pretty Lady, would you suggest that I stop using the Cetaphil cleanser that I've been using? I don't use a toner, I just the cleanser and a face cream

Nov 23, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    have you tried clinique? their 3 step system is awesome. I'd say you're a skin type 3 or 4, or oily. You should check it out. It is good stuff!
    Thanks Shoegal!! My sister actually uses Clinique... I've used so many products from Proactiv, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Spectro Gel... and my results have been the same but I think I will try the Clinique product in the New Year, I just don't think I should be switching products so rapidly

Nov 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnissa
    I have extremely oily skin too and most of my friends do - we've each found different solutions. For me, actually, my skin became a thousand percent better immediately when I found the right hormonal birth control (Yasmine). Literally, my skin was so oily that I would occasionally break out so badly that I couldn't even open my mouth. I also use Proactive, which will make your breaking out worse before it gets better, but does help. But for me, at least, the real difference in my skin came when I found something that balanced my hormones out.

I have a friend who uses the regimen at acne.org and claims it's perfect. I haven't tried it myself yet.
    I have never been on birth control, I'm just worried that my mentral cycle will be messed up... do you find that your mentral cycle is consistent while using the Yasmine? How long have you been using it before seeing improvements? Also, do you have to get a presciption for it?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
    I don't think you should go on Yasmin due to your skin. The pill works differently for everyone, and you may have a different reaction to it. Keep in mind that what worked for one person may not be what's right for others.

Cetaphil is recommended by dermatologists because it's gentle and won't disturb the skin. But if Cetaphil isn't working for you then you should talk to your dermatologist. If your skin is extremely oily, you may want to use a gentle cleanser designed for oily skin and then use a toner after the cleanser to remove excess oils.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Skin is DRY. Then It's OILY! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There... PLEASE HELP WITH BEST ADVICE! I don't know what to use anymore... When I wash my face in the mornings it's dry as hell after the soap (I have used all kind of soaps including health products... ) My skin is so so so dry! Later the day it becomes very shiny and oily..! If I used a...

Oily skin. How do I get rid of it? [ 5 Answers ]

How do I get rid of an oily face? Even if you told me a good skin cleanser that you've used, it would help a lot thanks...

Oily skin [ 3 Answers ]

My skin is so oily. No matter what I do, it's still oily. Any tips or advice to dry it out some??

Oily SKin [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having trouble w/ oily skin, large pores and adult acne. I cannot control it at all. I'll try a new product and it will do good for about a week, then my face becomes prone to it and not work at all. I have Epilepsy and am on excessive amounts of medication and magnesium. I'm being...

View more questions Search