Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeNotHandy Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Wet Floor in Basement
    :eek: The carpet has been wet the last few times it's rained. But it is in the red line in the picture, so I wonder if this means it is a crack in the floor rather than the wall. You can't see the picture unless you can log into myspace. But the wet spot is wider at the wall but extends narrowly on the floor.

I know that water can come through concrete even if not cracked, but I know that there was a repaired crack in the wall before we bought the house.

Plus, because of the shape of the spot, I would think it goes along on the floor.

1st - what do you think needs to be repaired.
    2nd - how do I repair it?

Thanks!!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Use the "Go Advanced" option and post your picture directly.
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Nov 27, 2007, 05:55 PM
    I do insurance restoration for a living and 9 / 10 times it is a crack in the foundation when it is happening when it rains, you have 2 options of repair should it be foundation.
    1= dig down the outside of the wall have it all sealed===EXPENSIVE
    2= open the wall in the basement have a company come in treat the back of the exposed wall for mould and then inject the foundation wall should any cracks be exposed using high pressure epoxy.

I believe you live in the states if I am correct you will have to look up your local companys as I live in canada.
    british bill Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
    It boggles my mind that in north america [9 times out of ten], when the foundations are being constructed [using concrete blocks], the channels in the blocks are not filled. I just don't get the thinking here. After all the leaky basement problems, it seems no one has connected the dots.
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Nov 30, 2007, 07:32 PM
    No offence british bill but for the hundreds of basements I have come across I have only seen about 8-9, most of the work I do in Canada is in the Niagara Region
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Dec 2, 2007, 03:12 PM
    british bill - The problem is not the cracking, it is the moisture on the outside that isn't being drained away. Concrete unless installed like a swimming pool will crack. The trick is to realize this and properly seal and drain the foundation.
    british bill Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
    While draining is very necessary, making the basement wall a homogenous thing will help prevent.
    pmg5030 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 06:05 PM
    First And Foremost I Would Get A Piece Of Glass And Adhere It To Foundation Where Crack Is Visible.if Glass Breaks The Crack Is Expanding And Needs Attention Asap/it Seems Like It Might Be A 2 Fold Problem There.you Can Invite Some Friends Over And Dig Around The Area In Question And Install Drain Pipe To Leach Surface Water Away From Foundation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

In May when I first turned on my ac I had wet spot on my basement floor that came through my carpet. I had to put a condensate pump on near my furnace and water heater. That seemed to solve the problem until yesterday I noticed that the same spot as before is wet again and also around my furnace....

Wet Floor [ 2 Answers ]

The floor behind my bath tub is soaking wet, I shut off the water every day when I am not using cause I don't know why it's still leaking. I had a friend come and look at it and the floor started to dry up but now its soaking wet again.

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

Wet garage floor [ 3 Answers ]

Help, this is our first winter in a new condo four unit building. It appears the garage floor is pitched toward the house and a flood of melting snow and ice are constantly at the entrance door. I can't see myself sweeping out water after every in and out with the car. Is there any products or...

View more questions Search