Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hello1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
    How to Calculate Tax return for H1B holder working in US as an salaried employee
    Hi,

I am a salaried employee, working in US since mid April, 2007.

For the first 2 months I was not working. I started working from Mid June and working till now. My employer has enrolled me as an employee after getting the first project in month of June only. So, I have received the first payroll in the month of July which was for the month of June.

Till then I was getting only weekly allowance. My employer is filing the taxes in NJ and I am working in Portland. I am on H1B Visa.

Q1 : Somebody told me that within one year if you have paid income tax less than $8000, then you can get all taxes back after filling the income tax return? Only amount paid against SSN component will be taken rest all amount in the Income tax will be returned back. IS this TRUE ?

Q2: How I can get information to calculate my tax return ? Any links, calculator which is free to calculate.

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Are you married? If so, and if you and your spouse choose, you can file jointly and CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens.

If you chooise this option, then the first $17,400 of your joint, world-wide income is EXEMPT from taxes. If you made less than that, youwould get ALL of your withheld INCOME taxes back.

Now, if you are single, you must file a dual-status return to be taxes on the income your earned while in the U.S. You CANNOT claim the standard deduction ($5,300) on dual-status. That means only $3,400 is exempt, plus whatever you can claim as itemized expenses.

I know of no FREE tax calculators.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted a salaried position with a six day work week. Although I am employed by the same owner as other managers, I am the only Manager working at a retail store. The other Managers work in the Corporate Office, unrelated to my position. All Managers are required to work 6 days but...

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

Tax for H1B holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got an postdoctoral fellow offer under H1B visa from one university in US. If I hold Singapore passport, do I need to pay tax? How about china possport? Thanks.

View more questions Search