Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Nov 22, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Movers lied, stole, and just ruined everything
    My family had to be out of our house by a certain day, so we called movers. They said they could get it done in one day, but they didn't. The next day, one of them said that they could get it done that day, but they still didn't. On the last day, the boss promised that it would be done and brought over two trucks and more guys to finish the job. They called halfway through the day and said that they were done.

When we got there, all of the doors were open and tons of stuff was still there, including a gigantic cabinet which they gave up on because they couldn't do it. They left it in the middle of the basement, broken, for a family friend and I to carry by ourselves. They destroyed half of the stuff they moved into our new house, put it in all the wrong spots, and left our house on and off to do other jobs even though they promised to do ours. Both my mom and I told them to stay the hell away from our orchestra instruments, but they took them anyway and left them in the basement of our new house with the door blocked open (it only takes 10 minutes of cold weather to crack an upright bass, cello, etc. and it's about 30 degrees here). They also stole boxes of chocolates from our drawers and were so high that they left their own tools and sweatshirts. Their boss called after the Packer game to wonder when we can pay him. He also lied about his 2-4 hours of work and said he worked 20 hours and changed his fee from $85 an hour to $95.

Anyway, a family friend and I had to do all of the rest of the moving. Besides two 10 minute lunch breaks, we worked for 22 hours straight, carrying dressers, couches, buffets, and stuff that 5 guys with moving equipment gave up on. Having the flu (or whatever I have) and a migraine didn't help much either. I started at 9:00AM one day and finished at about 7:00 the next morning. What should be done about the movers? Just not pay them or what? Many people suggested taking them to small claims court, but we are exhausted and don't need any more trouble.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 03:57 PM
    I would suggest not paying them, and then if they take YOU to small claims, fight it out there... or if they threaten to do so, do it first.

I a bad experience with movers, not nearly as bad as yours, but still bad. It took them four hours to clean out a one bedroom apartment where all the stuff was already packed and two cars were nearly filled, it was basically all furniture.

TWO full grown men, took 30 minutes getting my desk down ONE flight of stairs. Me, at 5'3" and not too strong moved this desk from the loft for them, in ten minutes... which is more stairs then the flight...

FIHGHT it... they are ripping you off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Well don't complain if you don't want to do anything about it, if you want to be a victim and be taken advantage of, that is just your problem.

Why did you pay them in the first place if they did all of this damage.

1. they should be insuranced, any real movers will be insuured, you make a claim againt their insurance. All movers normally break a few things on major moves. So making a claim is nromally just part of it, and they should nromally have supplied you the forms.

2. they should have supplied you a written bid or estimate before the move.

So you want to loose and not sue, personally nothing to me, let them do it to the next guy,

And where were you during this two or three days, if you had such valuable things why were you not there watching them do the work ?

Nov 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    well don't complain if you dont' want to do anything about it, if you want to be a victim and be taken advantage of, that is just your problem.

why did you pay them in the first place if they did all of this damage.

1. they should be insuranced, any real movers will be insuured, you make a claim againt thier insurnace. all movers normally break a few things on major moves. so making a claim is nromally just part of it, and they should nromally have supplied you the forms.

2. they should have supplied you a written bid or estimate before the move.

So you want to loose and not sue, personally nothing to me, let them do it to the next guy,
    I don't want to be a victim and be taken advantage of and I want to do something about it. I didn't say we paid them, that is the question I am asking and the reason I posted this.
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:28 PM
    You figure all of your damages, all of the work not done, and the value of what you had to do instead of them. Of course you don't pay them, and then you have to sue them, when you don't pay them, ** that ofsets them suing you first.

Sorry you don't want to sue someone, but you have to sometimes.

Nov 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And where were you during this two or three days, if you had such valuable things why were you not there watching them do the work ?
    I have a life. I had, and have, exams. I even had to miss one while I was doing moving that they didn't do. I was there most of the time, but I couldn't be at both places.
    Movers are supposed to be able to follow directions, two people specifically telling them to stay the hell away from our instruments seem like pretty good instructions to me.
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
    If you were rude about it and they felt threatened maybe they just did the bare minimum just to spite you.

Also, this person was right, you should always be near to watch movers. Never leave them alone.
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Actually I am not sure what type of movers you hired, but if this was local movers, were they to do the packing also ?

But most movers I have dealth with and it has been dozens of times, have one real mover that drives the truck and then they hire a lot of day labor, even people off the street corner to do more of the moving, heck one time when my neighor was moving they hired me to help because they could not find other local people after they got to that area.

So often you will have completely untrained people with one person who is partially trained but often cares less. I just moved and was there watching them every minute of the day, to be sure ( esp if they are working hourly, never hire them hourly, but by the job, of course they took three days if they were being paid by the hour. Set one fee for the entire move and they don't get a penny until they actually get done moving it all the way it was suppose to be.

I moved last month to Atlanta, and I still have no idea where my blender, can opener and other kitchen box went to, I think they must have stole it somehow along the road that I messed watching them.
    Missing things and breaking things are almost expected and even worst with some movers, the worst I ever hired was Bekins, I nicked named them breaking since they broke so much during that move, and tried to charge extra when they arrived with some things.

That is why you get copeis of there insurance, make sure their workers are all bonded ( no day labor people) and so on.

I guess you see know what being too busy has cost you. If you could not be there some famioly or friend needed to be. I am saying a lot of this as a warning to others,

Nov 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    If you were rude about it and they felt threatened maybe they just did the bare minimum just to spite you.

Also, this person was right, you should always be near to watch movers. Never leave them alone.
    We were incredibly nice, I even helped them move whenever I was there. The deal was for them to get all of our stuff out by a certain time. There was a bare minimum to do, and that was move all of the heavy stuff because if time ran out, at least we could carry the small stuff in our cars. They promised that we don't have to worry about it because they could do it ALL, and broke the promise 3 times in a row. On top of that, they left the biggest stuff and then called and said they were DONE.
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Why did you let them return after the first time? You know that they had already broken a promise by not moving the big stuff first...

Nov 22, 2007, 05:36 PM
    The first time, they apologized and said the guy who made the promise was an idiot, a new guy, and was in no position to say that. The next day, we told them that it was the last day, and they said "don't worry, we'll git 'r done." By the end of the day, they still weren't done and it was too late to call other movers. A very nice lady from the bank gave us another day though and she had the guys show up the next morning again saying "Sorry, sorry!" and they brought the boss and two trucks and said that they could for sure do it that day. The boss apologized and said that he would make everything right and that they were saving the big stuff for last. He even said that he would send two guys to our new house to rearrange everything that was put in the wrong place free of charge. The lady from the bank also went there to make sure they got it all done, but she had to leave after a few hours. When we returned from work and school to our new house, we got a call saying it was all done. Later, I went to go help my mom do the vacuuming and stuff and we found all of the biggest things still there with the doors left open. We got another extension in time and I and another guy finally got out all of the stuff ourselves by working for 22 hours straight.
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
    I would definitely suggest you DO NOT PAY THEM, its like paying a hairdresser for the worst cut of your life. But I would also say maybe you should take pictures of things they broke or damaged (preferably dated pics) and send them (Copies) in with a complaint letter and tell them why you are not paying them... including the fact that you hired them to do a job you then spent 22 hours doing yourself! And asking them for some form of compensation... write a letter... Its always the best way to get something done! I know it may seem like it could take a lot of time and you have exams but make a small space in your day to get it done.. (I know I would want them to compensate me! )
    Good luck

Nov 30, 2007, 08:45 PM
    It's pretty much over now. The boss of the moving company is taking us to court. He knows we have pictures, video, 4 other witnesses, and recordings of his harassment phonecalls, but he is still fighting just to not back down. He should have accepted the offer of half the money when he got it because now he is going to end up getting nothing and being charged for what him and his guys did (and didn't do).
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
    I feel bad for you, and I would not want to pay either. I don't know what kind of a contract you signed with them, but hopefully you can use it for some proof. It doesn't sound like there was a contract signed at all?

Perhaps you can still itemize the cost of every single thing broken, along with having some witnesses to show that the work was never completed... take them to court and don't pay a cent!

My opinion... the guys saw that you appeared to be well off financially and decided that you were easy marks to line their pockets! Seeing orchestra instruments probably gave them $$ in their eyes.

I know the feelings of not wanting any trouble from people... and it often seems that people like to take advantage of that... If you want to passify them and move on figuring that it is only money, that is your choice. Otherwise, dig your heels in and fight the b@@@rds-- They will probably back down once they see some backbone and know you are willing to fight them. Then there is always the possibility that they will do stuff to try to coerce you or further victimize you, in which case you should not hesitate to call the police. One last thought, call the better business beauro to file a complaint against them... It might help you when you go to court to have proof of your complaints about the move situation... I would also send a registered certified letter to the company stating your reasons for disagreement. Also send a copy of it to yourself that you never have to open, but it will prove that you mailed it and on what date it is post marked... Also keep any documents from the mail to prove that the letter was delivered and signed for by them.

You also have the right for legal action against them... It might be cheaper to pay a lawyer to negotiate with them, to put the fear into them that you will not mess with them, and that you are prepared to go after them in court if they don't appease you.

They owe you. You trusted them. They did not earn your trust. They earned your wrath!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stole 19,000 [ 15 Answers ]

A little over a year ago my dad stole 19,000 dollars of mine but can technically keep it because my parents put it in a mutual account for me in there name. He does not want to give it back at all and I've tried lots of things to get it back and its making my life stressful, is there anything I...

What to do if you stole from an Employer? [ 15 Answers ]

Today I was caught stealing money over a course of two months in transactions I have never been in trouble before or stole from my employer before this and only ever had than a speeding ticket. The only reason I can think that I did it was for the money. I never stole anything in my life except for...

I stole from a store [ 1 Answers ]

One of my good friends works at a small accessories store (im from ontario canada) and 3 times I have gone and picked out things in which she has just bagged them and I haven't paid for them... I recently discovered that there may be a camera in the corner of the store, would I get in trouble? And...

Roommate stole my stuff [ 5 Answers ]

I moved in with my girlfriend (only her name was on the lease), we broke up, she did not come back to the apartment, a couple of months later after I realized she was not coming back I went to the apartment manager and filled out a lease for myself in another apartment, same complex. In the...

MY boyfriend stole my kids [ 12 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend were moving 2 hours away and he took the kids on the Friday all of the house contents all of the kids contents and was suppose to pick my up on suday to bring me there I stayed home to wrap up last min packing.I waited all mornin then his friend knocked on the door handin me...

View more questions Search