Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaitie9906 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Girl wants a horse!
    OMG I LOVE horses but my mom won't let me have one but say if I do it would be at my friend s farm and my moms OK with that but will it get enough exercise I will only be able to go out there on sundays and my friend will ride it too... and pluse I can't find any cheap horses around where I live!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Horses are not cheap and they are not cheap to maintain. Feed, veterarian bills, supplies, equipment, etc. Read through this blog site on Learning Horses: Learning Horses: The real cost of raising a baby (horse)
    3562326 Posts: 5, Reputation: -2

Nov 21, 2007, 05:57 PM
    You don't need to exercize horses unless they a confined to a small place
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Horses are expensive to own. Like any other pet, you must be able to provide for food, shelter, and care- however, since they are considered 'Farm Animals' you will have to have a vet who is licensed to work with them, you may also have to find a farrier to shoe the horse as well.

In addition, visiting the horse only on Sundays isn't truly taking care of the animal. For the other six days of the week your horse will be in the hands of someone else while you are only visiting or paying for that care. It isn't quite fair to you, the horse, and the person caring for it-- and with all due respect, it isn't exactly the same as actually *owning* that animal. Basically it'd be like owning a pet that will end up bonding with someone else, rather than with you.

Before you jump at the chance at wanting to own a horse, you should TRULY think about the reasons you want one. Just because they're neat to look at, are pretty, and you'd like to ride one every once in a while? Ask yourself if you are willing to muck out [clean] your horse's stall, feed it, groom it, exercise it-- OFTEN to keep it healthy. This will become your responsibility, not whoever is boarding the horse for you- and this will very likely take up a lot of your time if you only get to see your horse once a week.

If you're certain that this isn't just a phase you're going to grow out of in a few years, or because it will become too much of a problem to continue taking care of it-- then there are PLENTY of websites you can look on for horses in your area, or as close to as possible.

DreamHorse.com - Horses for Sale - Dream Horse Classifieds is a very notable site.
    Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. is another, if you look under 'farm animals' or 'horses' or sometimes 'other'.

Please do think this through before making a hasty decision.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Have you considered the possibility of getting a job at a local horse stables where you could learn the ropes of caring for a horse as well as getting to exercise them all while learning the responsibilities involved?

It also might provide the opportunity to save for the eventual purchase if you are so inclined later on... You might have to begin as a volunteer, but once you have gained skills and are taken seriously your skills would be recognized by others.

Another idea would be to simply pay for lessons or a weekly riding session where you could enjoy a particular horse, around your schedule... it would be a lot less money than the total care involved in full ownership.
    Lifes Ambition Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Have you ever taken horseback riding lessons?
    If not I suggest taking them and learning the responsibilities because although horses can be calm and caring, they can still have there bad days. I think that if you are not prepared to handle your horse on a bad day then it wouldn't be such a good idea. I also agree with oneguyinohio, that you should take a weekly riding lesson or maybe partboarding where you can set up a day you do and ride that day
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Hmmm, just being a Sunday afternoon horse owner is not going to benefit you or the horse as much as it should for either of you. Owning a horse is a very demanding commitment. Perhaps you should look into a riding stable close to where you live and go there and pay to ride their horse a couple of times a month. That way you get to ride, don't have the up keep of the animal which is an Everyday commitment. That commitment is during rain, sleet, snow and sunny days.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
    You may want to check your area and see if there is an Equi-kids program (ask the special ed teacher at your school). These individuals give riding lessons to children with special needs and they are always looking for volunteers to help with the care of the horses. I'm sure they would welcome another hand to tend the horses and muck out the stalls. My son was in the program for 2 years and it was a wonderful experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The girl of my dreams turn into the girl of my nightmare [ 6 Answers ]

We where going out for 5 years and it was great the first 2 years. We seen each other everyday and we love every minute of it. Then her mom found we were going out and try to make it bad for both of us. Then her mom put her in jail for stealing a key chain and running away from home when her mom...

Leasing a horse [ 6 Answers ]

Well I love horses And I have been riding for about a year And I'm currently taking lessons But I want to lease a horse next summer I think with a half lease But Well It might sound like a stupid question but When you lease a horse from an ad

Horse problem [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I just recently took on an appaloosa. He is nippy and I gave him a bath but he was very nervous he was very scared. Does anyone have an tips about the biting and bath? He is also a little unsure about getting his back feet picked up.:confused:

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

View more questions Search