Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    longwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Drywall with no sill plate for support
    I am finishing my basement. It has the superior wall system which includes furring strips every 16 inches vertically, but no sill plate or top plate to support the drywall horizontally. Is this a problem? Specifically, should I try to install some sort of sill plate to provide support for the drywall or just leave it as is. And trust the molding to protect the bottom.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
    I've never had or seen a problem w/ drywalling that system. Use 1/2" drywall. If your really concerned about it, install firring strips every 12" perpendicular to the foundation firring strips. Still install the drywall horizontal. This way you'll support they drywall in the areas of your concern.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skimmer plate fell [ 4 Answers ]

I have an oval pool that has a place to put skimmer on either end of pool. The plate that covers the side not in use fell down between the liner and outside of pool. Do I have to take the whole pool apart to get it or can I just remove top railing and reach down? Also if I don't retrieve it, what...

Steel Plate [ 1 Answers ]

I am drawing for a manufacturer to bend steel plate into a U shape. The steel is galvanised and 1.5mm thick. How do I show the Radius of the bend? What is the maximum radius I can bend with 1.5mm steel?

Removed switch, hole in wall plate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I removed a switch from a circuit inside a 3-gang box. Now I have a hole in my switch plate. I'm assuming there's something I can find that will be a kind of "dummy switch" and basically cover the hole in the switch plate from the inside. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and if so...

GM truck license plate bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change the license plate bulbs on a 1998 GMC Jimmy? They don't appear to be accessible from the bottom. What's the secret?

View more questions Search