Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Acetaminophen free cough medicine
    OK, I have a cold and cough. Does anybody know of a cough medicine that has cough suppressants and decongestants instead of acetaminophen in it? Since Nyquill reformulated last year and now has 500 mg acetaminophen in a dose, again I take enough of it that my wife and I can get some sleep, I am way over on acetaminophen. I had looked around last year and found stuff at Dollar General that still had cough medicine in it. Now, they have the acetaminophen too. With the old stuff, one dose did it. Now it takes 2-3. If acetaminophen was effective on coughs, why wouldn't I just take Tylenol?

Please, no quack remedies.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:30 AM
    OK, what you need to suppress the cough is D.M. dextromethorphan, that is the cough suppressant that is in the meds. I just bought a new brand for my kids to try. It was at Walmart,about 3 bucks for 4 oz. brand name is Equate, Tussin CF. *edit*There were more expensive/national brands that had the same ingredients. This med also has an expectorant in it as well as nasal decongestant in it.

Wack remedy would be to lick sugar or if that doesn't work lick a little of salt. My friends mom said 1 or the other will work. Lol,sorry I couldn't resist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VASAP Violation From Cough Medicine [ 9 Answers ]

I am wondering what can I look forward to for the results of this problem? I was currently enrolled into VASAP and had completed all classes but one last driver awareness class. I had been having trouble with allergies all summer and eventually ended up with an head cold from heat from outside then...

Allergic to Cough Medicine [ 6 Answers ]

I have a really bad cough and am allergic to cough medicine. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the cough to go away?

Persistent cough [ 1 Answers ]

I have been coughing for 3 weeks now. It doesn't seem to be getting any better but worse. I am also starting to spit up blood. What could this be?

My cat has a cough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2-year old male cale, with all shots, not neutured. He has been very healthy until now. He has developed a cough. I thought maybe it might be a hair ball because he had been licking his fur, it has been a week now and he is still coughing, acting like he has to throw up but doesn't. ...

Cough [ 5 Answers ]

My 7 month old Lab has a deep cough. He only coughs when he runs or gets excited just a few times then he stops. Sounds like Croop?? We are having Santa Ana Winds could he have allergys? If so What can I give him. He is eating and playing fine. Nose is cold and wet

View more questions Search