Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Deflation
    I don't know about other areas of the world, but on Long Island, the last year or so, we have seen a proliferation of inflatable lawn ornaments to celebrate the holidays. Santas, huge jack-o-lanterns, snowmen, toon characters etc have decorated lawns to mark the occasion.

I don't want to be a Scrooge, but am I the only one who questions the value of these inflatable holiday lawn ornaments? I was driving through my neighborhood earlier. I passed at least a dozen homes that had these inflatable Santas, snowmen etc. More than a third of them lay deflated on the ground. This is typical of what I've noticed throughout the last year of holidays. I would feel very comfortable in stating that, at least half the time, these ornaments had fallen flat on their faces.

Is anyone else bothered by this? Or am I just full of hot air (unlike those ornaments)! ;)

Scott<>
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Nov 29, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Sense of expression
    Try not to be so hard on these people, they are only following traditions of expectation; however, some of them need to have their deflated inflatables on the lawn to help them get through this season. Remember, this time of the year can be the hardest for people to endure, unlike any other season.
    Partake in the Holiday Joy and spread it. However, I have one question for you, why does it bother you? What emotional response(s) manifest in your mind that you find the need to give two shakes about inflatables or are you just bored out of your wits and need something to complain/nag about.

Nov 30, 2005, 05:40 AM
    What bothers me about it is waste. I abhor waste in any form. If I was putting up some sort of decoration I would want something that stayed up.

I think you misunderstood what was behind my rant. I was not being hard on the people who use decorations or the concept of holiday decorations. But look at what you said to me. You talk about people's needs for decorations to get through the season, and spreading the holiday joy. So in turn I ask you; how does having a deflated ornament lying flat on its face get someone through the seaon? How does a pices of colored plastic spread out flat on a lawn spread holiday joy?

That's part of my point. I have nothing against holiday decorations. But what good is a decoration that you can't see? Seems to me that this would deflate the holiday spirit as much as it deflates the ornament.

Scott<>
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Ornaments
    Hi,
    You don't like waste? Then you must love the Federal Gov't!
    Sorry about the sarcasm, couldn't resist it.
    Some of our neighbors also have these inflatable ornaments, as well as the local area. They don't bother me one bit, and with lights, are quite nice after dark. If they have fallen down, it's their problem, and it might not even be a problem for them! It's definitely not my problem.
    Your question of : "So in turn I ask you; how does having a a deflated ornament lying flat on its face get someone through the seaon?"
    Why don't you stop and ask them? I'm sure they wouldn't mind offering you their own reasons they don't pump them back up.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Umm... aren't they just deflated because they unplug the fan during the day?

Nov 30, 2005, 06:05 AM
    It seems that some of you aren't getting the point here. So let me rephrase it.

Would you put up a decoration that constantly needed maintenance, that was constantly lying flat instead of on display?

The purpose of holiday decorations is to give a smile to the homeowner and their neighbors. I've known people who go to great lengths to decorate their homes with virtual fairy lands of lights and objects. I have absolutely no quibble with such decorations. But I do have a quibble with a decoration that spends more time flat then upright.

Scott<>

P.S. And yes Fred, I am frequently upset over government waste.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Scott,

Inflatable Santas seem to be a fad that just hit this year,( at least in my area) They will last as long as the air pump holds up so get used to seeing them for a few more years. Like Fred pointed out, they can look pretty neat after dark when they're all lit up. But Scott does have a point. They look like a piece of crap laying on the ground. Speaking of "front lawn fads". We went through years of Plastic Pink Flamingos back in th 60s in my neighborhood. Now they're considered so tacky that they're cool. Go figure!
    Let me be the first to wish my fellow experts a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Tom aka "the speedster".
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2005, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    But I do have a quibble with a decoration that spends more time flat then upright.
    Ah I see, then yes, I do agree it looks tacky. I hope Tom is right and that it is just a fad, but then again I thought the same thing about icicles lights and they're still here, and there, and everywhere... <sigh>.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Flat
    Hi,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too, Speedball.
    Hey ScottGem, I am not missing your point... these things bother you.
    Why don't they bother me? It's not important to me, so therefore, I don't see any problems with it. If people want "unsightly" stuff in their yard for some time, I see nothing wrong with it.
    Yes, if I wanted to put up something requiring constant maintenance, then didn't want to fool with it anymore, until I removed it, that's my personal choice as a homeowner and property owner.
    Happy Hanuka.

Nov 30, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Tom,
    I believe they first appeared on Long Island last year. They aren't restricted to Xmas. I've seen Halloween, Thanksgiving and Easter ones as well.

Maybe in a warmer climate they wouldn't fare as badly. I probably wouldn't have brought it up if deflation only occurred occasionally. But, when it occurs more than half the time..!

Fred,
    Did I say anything about rights? Of course the homeowner has the right to put up whatever they want. They have the right to waste their money.

I started this as a semi-facetious, tongue-in-cheek thing. The idea was to poke fun at these things. Believe me I won't lose a minute of sleep over them.

Scott<>
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 30, 2005, 07:23 AM
    Ibrokeanailandidontcare
    Lawn ornaments suck. Period.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 2, 2005, 07:08 PM
    I'm back and ready to spread the holiday whiz
    I like how scott puts a simple statement about how these decorations are deflating and everyone jumps to the rights of homeowners to have them, this topic(I believe) was about the quality of the product. And you are right I think inflatable santas and others are stupid, I prefer lights however that is kind of dangerous. By the way I live in California and I don't much of them, so I can't really tell you if a warmer climate would do it. Anyway, I think if you are going to decorate your house with ornaments than you should take some pride in it. My grandpa did the best ones(he has passed on) he would have mr. and mrs. claus, lights, reindeer, a snowman, it was very beautiful, and many other people would try and match him, and it was a nice friendly competition and you could walk around town at night looking at these beautiful houses, however that was back in South Dakota. But, again if you are going to make the effort to put up ornaments than have some pride in it, make it nice at the very least, you don't need to spend a lot of money you just need it to look nice, and maintain it. ALSO DO NOT LET THEM SET OUT THERE TILL SPRING, THAT IS THE WORST OF ALL. Your house represents you, and if you leave it unkept than that's what people might think of you.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Comment on wizzkid89's post
    Good comments. Sorry I used the word "rights"; should have known someone would jump on that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search