Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donna_david Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2004, 12:47 PM
    Cooking with wine
    Hello,

Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough?

David
    rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2004, 06:22 PM
    Re: Cooking with wine
    First, wine contains natural acids and salts that can replace added salt. Adding too much salt to food can be a problem. As we age, our taste buds begin to wear out and there is a tendency to add more salt to food.

Second, after sautéing chicken breasts or strips of beef, it is easy to pick up the entire flavour in the bottom of the pan by deglazing the pan with a little wine and turning it into a simple sauce. This is done by browning any type of meat in a sauté pan and then removing the meat and adding a dry red or white wine to the hot pan. With a wooden spoon, scrape up the bits stuck to the pan. This is the base to all kinds of sauces.

Last, wine can help slightly tenderize meat. By soaking a tough cut of meat in wine or a marinade containing wine for a few hours (the larger the cut the longer the marinating), the meat fibers will break down slightly making the meat a little more tender. Most of the alcohol dissipates as the dish simmers. This is because alcohol disappears at around 175 F. A boiling liquid would be at 212 F, but the flavour of the wine remains.

Cooking with wine and 'cooking wine' is completely different. Cooking wine from the supermarket tastes quite bad and is loaded with salt and other additives. This is done to avoid paying certain taxes that are levied on wine.

There are so many inexpensive wines that are perfect for cooking. If you enjoy drinking a particular wine, you will enjoy it in wine-cooked dishes. If you have a family member that is unable to have food with the flavour and aroma of wine, it is possible to use the following recipes with grape juice and a shot of good quality wine vinegar.

It could be a number of things as you can see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wine and spirits [ 77 Answers ]

I feel a little bit guilty for posting in here while I am in mourning and observing shiva... but I'm having trouble sleeping again and I guess this is a bit of a distraction for me. If you're curious what I'm talking about, please read my thread under bereavement: ...

Wine [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

View more questions Search