Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayinjc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ
    Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit?
    Thanks... Jay
    landlordforlife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
    The percentage depends on the national CPI Consumer Price Index, and usually does not exceed 2.5%. And yes, the landlord can ask that you maintain the proper decurity deposit when this increase does happen and this cannot by law exceed 1.5 times the rent of the unit.
    landlordhelper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
    The percentage depends on the national CPI Consumer Price Index, and usually does not exceed 2.5%. And yes, the landlord can ask that you maintain the proper decurity deposit when this increase does happen and this cannot by law exceed 1.5 times the rent of the unit.
    landlordhelper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 11:36 AM

New Jersey Local governments in New Jersey, such as Jersey City and Camden, impose maximum rent increases. For Jersey City, the annual maximum allowable increase is 4% or the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W), whichever is less. A hardship Rental Increase is also allowed to give landlords a fair return on their investments. Fair return is defined as 6 percentage points above the savings interest rate. In Camden, the annual allowable increase is the CPI or 6%, whichever is less.
    deenice10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 04:09 AM
    I am a landlord and rent out a single family dwelling in burlington county nj what are the guidelines for a rent increase and also proper notice to tenant
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deenice10 View Post
    ... what are the guidlines for a rent increase ...
    What part of Landlordhelper's answer to the OP's question didn't you understand?

Oh, and please don't pile your question on a thread started by somebody else. Start your own.
    quilesma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
    What is Newark, NJ annual maximum allowable rent increase?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

JN Rent increase percentage [ 1 Answers ]

What is the lawful percentage a landlord can increase the apartment rent when a lease is being renewed for a year?

Rent increase in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been renting an apartment for a about a year under a lease contract in New Jersey. I have had no problems with the landlord or have they had a problem with me that I am aware of. Heat and electric utilities are included in my rent. I am very mindful and considerate of the use of...

Rent increase in the state of New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting a single family home in ocean countny for 4 years every year the landlord reaises the rent 25 dollars. This year with 6 days notice he raised it 200.00 I had no choice but to sign the new lease or vacate. Is this leagl in the state of New Jersey. And if not what can I do about...

Increase in Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I was fortunate enough to acquire a rental problem on the Gulf Coast of MS one month before Hurricane Katrina devastated the area. I was extremely fortunate that the rental property had only minor damages. We were given the option of signing a 1 or 2 year lease and chose a 2 year contract with...

View more questions Search