Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrlnf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Kitten milking reflex
    My kittens seem to have some sort of milking reflex. I need to know if this is bad or good. They are weaned from the mother and found htere way into our garage, we kept them tamed them, and have gotten them vacinated, and fixed. They are brother and sister and when relaxing with us constantly want to suckle our clothing,a blanket, our fingers or what ever is soft that is near by. IS this a bad behavior and if so how do we break them of it.? Or is this justa comforting thing that will pass as they age?:confused: cat and kitten owner.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:37 PM
    No it is not bad behavior, they are comforting themselves. The older they get the less they should do this. However sometimes my old tom will kneed but not suckle, my 4 year old will suckle the covers sometimes and the 1 year old twins that I have never do this. Thanks for getting them spayed/neutered and providing them with homes.
    AussieEvy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 05:04 AM
    This isn't a bad behavior by any means unless their sucklin and kneeding are damaging things. Most cats will stop feeling the need to suckle once they're old enough to leave their mother, but that isn't always the case. Like bushg said, It something they do to comfort themselves. Cats can continue it into adulthood if they had a tramatic kittenhood, were taken from their mother too early, or have separation anxiety. Of course, cats can also do it just because they like too.

If you really want to break the habbit, I would suggest putting them down when they begin to suckle and kneed as well as giving them a security corner of sorts. A place they can go that's secluded, safe, and warm where they can relax without fear of being disturbed. IF it's the kneeding and sharp claws that arethe problem, just take a very fine-grit nail file or very fine grit sand paper and softly rub the sharp points of the nails until they're dull and don't hurt anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

New kitten [ 10 Answers ]

I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?

Milking the prostate [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently introduced to the term "milking the protate" and was wondering if its true about being the male G spot? Is it dangerous and has anyone seen or witnessed the effects?

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

View more questions Search