Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 06:48 AM
    Trace IP
    Is there such thing as an app that traces an IP to a physical location?

You know... like in the movies?

I've tried a few that get it down to the city, but no further.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 07:03 AM
    Trace IP address
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.abika.com/help/IPaddressmap.htm
    Click on the "Get Report" button, near the top.
    I haven't tried this personally, but it looks like an awesome site!
    Best of luck.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 07:08 AM
    I just tried it. It's a pay site.
    I entered an IP for tracing and it then gave me many options, including a return of City, State, Lat, Long & Owner of IP for $7.98.

At least, then, I know it's possible. A return of Latitude-Longitude would be fine by me...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I just tried it. It's a pay site.
    I entered an IP for tracing and it then gave me many options, including a return of City, State, Lat, Long & Owner of IP for $7.98.

At least, then, I know it's possible. A return of Latitude-Longitude would be fine by me...
    You should never have to pay for that, it's part of the TCP/IP protocol. Try http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl

The closest you can get is either the ISP's location or the organization that bought the range of IP addresses. AOL is likely to give you the most headaches as they have something like 6 areas that connect to the external internet for the whole US - so a person in Washington DC maybe getting an IP that originates in New York City.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 07:43 AM
    I see.

Yeah. Just tried VisualRoute 2006 for my other office IP (Dublin, OH) and it only goes as far as Herndon, VA - where, apparently, my Commercial RoadRunner is.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 08:11 AM
    Static IP's I would say it could be possible. Surely IP's are registered somewhere so the details can be retrieved from there.

As for normal home users, well they will be on dynamic IP's. So their IP will change regularly. In this case I guess the only way to get a location would be if you could access the ISP's customer information and the IP they are currently using. But let's face it - there's no way of possibly doing this like the movies. If there is - eeek!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 12:42 PM
    As Need pointed out, the best you get for sure is the location of the ISP that owns the IP. Even if the ISP assigns a static IP, that info is generally kept private (see the RIAA's attempts to get that info). So it would take a court order to get any further.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Lol, I've seen eek and double eek.

I half wonder if this sort of thing will be available in our lifetimes.

After all, with a phone number, you can usually find a physical address...

I wonder...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    lol, I've seen eek and double eek.

I half wonder if this sort of thing will be available in our lifetimes.

After all, with a phone number, you can usually find a physical address...

I wonder...
    But not everyone connects via phone these days. Also, the only ones who know the phone number used to connect is the ISP.

I have often said that the anonymity of the Net is, at the same time one of its greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. In my opinion no one should be anonymous to the service providers. For example, the owners/operators of this site should know the true identity of anyone who posts here. But they should not reveal that info to anyone without a valid court order.

People should feel free to say anything they want within the guidelines of the site and prevailing laws. But they also need to understand they have to take responsibility for what they say. Just as you can't shout Fire in a crowded theatre, you can't post lies and baseless insults about entities without being held accountable for what you say.

Scott<>

Wondering if this should be moved to Member Debates?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
    http://www.dnsstuff.com
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2005, 02:53 PM
    I wasn't speaking of phone connected computers, I was just pointing out how having a phone line pretty allows your location to be found by anyone with a few skills... and thinking that one of these days having a computer connected to the internet may leave us in the same situation.

I would not be surprised.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 07:22 AM
    I hate to say, If someone has money to spend, someone will find a way to provide.
    You can buy unlisted numbers, SS#, cellphone listings, about any thing.
    I think it leaves everyone vulnerable. I am amazed with current technology, why there is such a problem for Agencies to locate a predator, or whatever.
    I know a federal agent had Credit card abuse on several accounts, but not traceable?
    The companies would rather pay out than, than find fraudster? Hate it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Wow, that's a two year old question. LOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Proper way to trace electrical circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, we replaced our old Pushmatic Breaker panel with a GE unit. Now I can get new breakers without having to buy them off E-Bay. Being a cheap Ba**rd, er I mean Frugal, I saved $50 by tracing the electrical circuits myself instead of having the electrician do it. Since I had to do it, and...

Trace a number using computer.. [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir, Please help me to trace a number on computer, while the call is coming on the phone. How I can trace this number using our computer. Example I am live in a house. I have a phone. I want to get all the numbers , which my phone recives acll from outside. I want it the computer...

Trying to trace a friend [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jenny (née) Cheadle who lived in Gunnislake, Cornwall, in the early 1970s and earlier? We were both students in the French department at the University of Bristol from 1969 to 1972. She married soon after graduating and may have taken her husband's surname (which...

Artist from 1/26/06 Without a Trace [ 1 Answers ]

Who is the singer who sang the song You Are Not Alone on the January 26th episode of Without a Trace? Does anyone know who that was?

View more questions Search